Thread: The "Magic Garage" shop tour

The "Magic Garage" shop tour

It's such a beautiful day here in West Central Florida I'm doing some work in the Magic Garage. I envy you-all with a large shop. I'm currently "Spacially Challenged" to the extreme. My friend named my shop the Magic Garage, because all the stuff I can squeeze into it. There's always room for something else. He thinks the laws of physics cease to exist in my shop.
    The first picture is my jet table saw.
    The second is my old workbench that I've had for over thirty years. the top is from a piece of "Bowling alley". The vise on the bench is home made on my south Bend lathe. Drill press, part of my mill-drill. Air compressor, Jet 1 HP shaper, and tool boxes.
    The third is a roll around bench unit I bought on sale at the "Borg" It has a lot of storage. The height is perfect for my new Mortiser, and old Leigh Jig.
    The fourth is my Jet Bandsaw, Jet Jointer, and Craftsman DC.
    The last is my Bench top tools. Delta planer. Craftsman spindle sander. Dewalt scroll saw. And my Shopsmith, I bought new around 1972. These Days I just use it to power a Shopsmith belt sander, and as a lathe. Once in a while as a "Horizontal Drill", which it excells.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jim, don't you envy those guys who have basements? I really miss mine but you can't hardly find one in Florida and if you do it is likely to be very wet.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

jim, you`re in business! it aint about how you build it, it`s about what you build! keep cutting boards......02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Now there's four pounds of ... in a 1 pound bag! I can't imagine what you would have IF you had a bigger shop!
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

I was just discussing the lack of space I have in my basement shop with DRLOML. I won't complain...

I'm wondering about your benchtop. I built one about 30-35 years ago out of old bowling alley. About 20 years ago I tried to drill some dog holes...it was full of cut nails! Did you drill into yours?
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

You've done very well w limited space. Looks like a enjoyable shop.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo
    I was just discussing the lack of space I have in my basement shop with DRLOML. I won't complain...

I'm wondering about your benchtop. I built one about 30-35 years ago out of old bowling alley. About 20 years ago I tried to drill some dog holes...it was full of cut nails! Did you drill into yours?
    I had the same problem. I drilled "Dog holes", and a couple I couldn't drill through because of some kind of metal in the wood.
    One of those metal detector wands is on my list of goodies to get.

Jim, your friend is right; what you have done with the limited space is indeed magic. I believe that the only other Saw Mill Creek member who has creatively crammed so much into the available shop space is Bart Leetch.

I love the name 'the magic garage' and it seems to fit. And while you envy larger shops, I envy open shop doors in February! Thanx for the tour.
    Better to keep silent and be thought a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Pater
    I love the name 'the magic garage' and it seems to fit. And while you envy larger shops, I envy open shop doors in February! Thanx for the tour.
    Winters here in "The sunshine state" are great. But our sweltering summers make up for that. About August it takes about three fans and a lot of fortitude to work in the shop. 90 degrees+ 90% humidity feels like 180.