Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I have a parts plane

Do I have a parts plane

Hey all, I bought this 60 1/2 on eBay. I don’t know much about them. From what I’ve read, based on the lack of markings on the body, the body is likely form the ~1930s.

It came with the oversized acre you see in its own photo. I found an appropriate acre, but it barely seats (basically unusable). Is this chip breaker from a different plane? Is there a longer screw that I need (ie both the one it came with and the replacement I found are wrong)?

Any advice on how to fix or information on what I actually bought would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by James Jayko; 01-05-2024 at 10:49 AM.

I think I have a 60-1/2 parts plane that may have a longer screw. I'll look today. This is also one I bought off ebay for parts. I needed the adjustable base front part for another one, but those parts aren't interchangeable between planes since they're milled after assembly. This one is a cordovan one, so a lot newer than yours, but hopefully that screw is the same thread pattern. I haven't looked at this one for over a couple of decades, so I hope it's still in the drawer it's supposed to be in. I'll post back.

Looks like you just need a longer screw. 1/4-28 x 1/2" should work.
    Last edited by Cameron Wood; 01-05-2024 at 11:53 AM.

Blog Entries
    It came with the oversized acre you see in its own photo.
    I am not sure what you mean by "oversized acre."

That style of Trade Mark on the blade began in 1935 according to > https://www.antique-used-tools.com/stantms.htm

If it hasn't been a long time since purchasing this on ebay you might contact the seller and see what they might do to make it good.

I'm dealing with a killer cold right now, but if by the time I get better no solution has been found, i'll look through my parts to see if anything might work for you.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Don’t know what’s going on. You didn’t call me so I put that screw you were looking for in the mail anyway. Hopefully the hole wasn’t retapped to something other than 24 tpi. Hopefully it will get to you, it is in an envelope with cardboard padding. The po lady said it should be in a priority box or envelope at a shipping cost of almost 10$, I think she found a workaround on the shipping so let’s hope it gets there.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Bolt looks more like a frog bolt from a late model bench plane...than a block plane's Cap Iron bolt...as the cap iron bolts have an area under the head without any threads...April Rust Hunt, PATD 10-12-97 .JPG
    April Rust Hunt, Old Block plane .JPG
    Stanley 65 , front .JPG
    First 2 are #65 and the last one is comparing it to a #60-1/2...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

The parts plane I mentioned was not where I thought it was. Probably hopeless to find it now.

There are some 1/4-24 taps and dies readily available. I'm not sure if these would work or not though.

https://www.amazon.com/HSS-4-24-UNS-.../dp/B07L67PCM6

I don't mind ordering some to try if no one else already has some.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    There are some 1/4-24 taps and dies readily available. I'm not sure if these would work or not though.

https://www.amazon.com/HSS-4-24-UNS-.../dp/B07L67PCM6

I don't mind ordering some to try if no one else already has some.
    Finding a screw with the proper head and enough bare shaft would be the hard part.

I'm not sure if 1/4-24 is the proper size. For some reason my memory is thinking it might be a 5/16" screw.

Hopefully I feel better in the next day or two to get out to the shop and check.

Besides, Jim Ritter has already mailed a screw. Maybe that will be the end of the story.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-05-2024 at 7:36 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I don't think it's 1/4"24. I don't have that tap size, but 1/4"28 fits a couple of planes that I tried it on and the screw goes in that size on the tread checker.

I"ve thought of somewhere else that parts plane may be. I'll check today.

Blog Entries
    Hopefully the screw Jim Ritter put in the mail will be the end of the story on this. (if there is a question on this in the future maybe someone will find this thread useful)

I am feeling better today and made it out to the shop for a while.

My #60-1/2 that looked closest to what was in James' original post was checked.

#60-1:2 Base and Screw Measure.jpg

Stanley seems to have loved using odd pitch hardware.

Screw Measure Detail #60-1:2.jpg

The caliper reads 9/32" the thread gauge shows 24 threads per inch. Also notice there is a slight bevel on the underside of the head.

Try fining that in your local hardware store.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-07-2024 at 6:49 PM.

Last edited by Tom M King; 01-09-2024 at 5:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I like the three tap set with the bottoming tap.

Victor Machinery tends to have them at a lower price when they are in stock > https://www.victornet.com < Victor does have a minimum order of $25. Not hard to find a few other things to fill out an order. When I bought 12-20 taps I purchased three to get to the minimum and ground one down to make my own bottoming tap.

jtk

Thank you all for the help here!

Jim Ritter sent over a screw and I had a machinist make it work. If you're wondering, there were two issues. First, the plane came with the wrong screw to begin with (the cap was too wide and it would not fit through the blade). Second, the threads in the casting had become damaged at some point and the screw probably had to be 2-3 threads in to bite. Jim sent a screw that was the right thread at cap, but longer than the original. A local machine shop cut it down without destroying the thread, allowing it to fully seat in the casting.

If you're in the Philadelphia area and you need a machine shop, B&D Machine and Fabrication in Malvern helped me out at no charge and in about 3 minutes time.
    https://bdmachinefab.com/

Thanks again for all the help!