Thread: Used Felder D-951 pricing

Used Felder D-951 pricing

There’s a used 2007 era Felder D-951 20” planer for sale here in town. It’s a 10hp 3phase machine with the 6 blade cutter head.

I think these were ~$10-12k new; asking price is $7.5k. What would you guys expect to pay for one?

Not that much, but we have no idea where you live. Regions make a big difference in pricing in the US.

San Francisco Bay Area.

Bay area will be higher priced. Do you have a way to move it? I used an engine hoist.
    Bill D

I’ve used a pallet/pallet jack and tilting the trailer. Using a come along to winch up and down the deck works pretty good.

The sunrise rental drop bed trailer is nice for heavy stuff like this.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D
    None of the rental places in my area seemed to have them available the last time I needed one. Only 4 miles away; the trailer I have can get it done.

Deliberating over whether to reach out to the guy. I've wanted a planer of this class for a while; the 20" Grizzly I have has been fussy at times, the snipe is annoying, and it actually has a bigger footprint. Asking price is more than I want to spend though. It's listed as or best offer, maybe he'll be receptive to something less as it's been sitting for about 3 weeks.
    Last edited by Nick Crivello; 01-06-2024 at 7:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D
    They require a 3/4 or 1 ton truck in order to rent the drop trailer. It's extremely heavy even unloaded.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    They require a 3/4 or 1 ton truck in order to rent the drop trailer. It's extremely heavy even unloaded.
    I found it to be any of their HD trailers; Had to rent a very nice Ford Super Duty when I needed to haul the Slider and Jointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Crivello View Post
    I found it to be any of their HD trailers; Had to rent a very nice Ford Super Duty when I needed to haul the Slider and Jointer.
    Yup...it's required for safety when you get into the heavier trailers. While a "1500" size truck can often handle the bare trailer, one can quickly cross over either on overall weight or tongue weight which gets into legal things as well as safety. The tow vehicle must also be equipped with a brake controller...unlike UHaul trailers which have surge/inertial brakes, "real work" trailers have electric brakes and it's not optional to use them, both practically and legally. (in most jurisdictions for the latter, but not all, sadly)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Is that 6 blade system old school straight knife? 7500 seems a bit steep. I’d probably want at least a Tersa head at that price. Back in 07, I guess helical heads were not as common.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert London View Post
    Is that 6 blade system old school straight knife? 7500 seems a bit steep. I’d probably want at least a Tersa head at that price. Back in 07, I guess helical heads were not as common.
    It would most likely be the “Felder-System” cutterblock, which is a quick-change straight-knife system similar to Esta.

To the OP: That machine will have a powered planer table and Felder’s tend to be very picky about wanting to stay as close to 230V as possible. Mentioning this because I recall customers in the Bay Area sometimes experiencing issues if there was a brownout or if their voltage dropped below 208V. Same applies to phase converters, if that’s how someone intends to power their machine. Just an FYI,

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    It would most likely be the “Felder-System” cutterblock, which is a quick-change straight-knife system similar to Esta.

To the OP: That machine will have a powered planer table and Felder’s tend to be very picky about wanting to stay as close to 230V as possible. Mentioning this because I recall customers in the Bay Area sometimes experiencing issues if there was a brownout or if their voltage dropped below 208V. Same applies to phase converters, if that’s how someone intends to power their machine. Just an FYI,

Erik
    That's an interesting anecdote Erik; I don't frequently have outages on my local grid. Running an American Rotary phase converter, So far as I'm aware it's supposed to do a good job generating the third leg. The 2001 10hp K700 hasn't had any problems.

Are the knives a proprietary design? Easily available?

Here's the ad:
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/tls...699097866.html

Find it odd that the side panels have been removed and the power cable wiring is pigtailed into the machine... I'd probably make an offer of ~$5k or so.

I haven't looked at it yet, trying to exercise some financial responsibility. Planers of this class tend to pop up every 4-6 months. The 20" HH grizzly I have get the job done; good cut quality. Problems with snipe, doesn't seem to hold calibration very well, keep having to re-zero the wixey digital readout, etc. The Felder is clearly a step up in every area, not the best time to jump in however.

If it’s a very clean machine with just hobby use, it might be worth it. But it’s still a 17 year old machine so you have to account for any problems. Probably won’t get it for 5k but maybe meet in the middle somewhere.

I just bought Grizzly’s new South Bend 20” helical with the variable feed. Some snipe but the variable feed does make a nice difference. Not in the Euro league of machinery, but maybe one day.