Thread: conversion spray gun recommendation

conversion spray gun recommendation

Give me your recommendation for a conversion spray gun that will be used primarily for waterborne finishes. I have a 60-gallon 5hp compressor that is rated at 18.1 CFM @ 90 psi. I would also like to use the 3M PPS cup system with it. I am spraying woodworking projects from furniture to woodturning projects. I have used a gun with the capability of adding air pressure to the cup and like that feature. Is there a system like that which will work with the 3M PPS system?

Absolutely not an expert, nor widely experienced with a variety of guns, but I do enjoy my Qualspray gun from Jeff Jewitt. You can order it with the PPS system, the bigger one I have uses a pressurized cup. I have a compressor half that size and it works fine for the projects I have done so far.

I, too, have a Qualspray HVLP conversion gun, specifically the AM-6008 Smartpak, with the pressurized 3M PPS HO cup. Great gun for the price. That's one monster compressor you have.

https://homesteadfinishingproducts.c...ray-hvlp-guns/

John

Make that three with the Qualspray gun with the PPS system. It's awesome and reasonably priced. It couldn't come from a nicer and more knowledgable person, too...Jeff Jewitt, who is not only a finishing guru, but an amazing luthier.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would suggest to talk to a live person when you get ready to order. It's easy to get the PPS systems mixed up with different versions and one not being compatible with the pressurized type, plus they changed version names along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I would suggest to talk to a live person when you get ready to order. It's easy to get the PPS systems mixed up with different versions and one not being compatible with the pressurized type, plus they changed version names along the way.
    Jeff sells it as a pre-configured kit.
    --

Qualspray for me also. I have the pps system on mine and order liners and lids off of amazon. I just sprayed cabinets ranging from white laquer to sanding sealer, just change the cap, needle and adjust the cup pressure, great system.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Thanks for the replies, I decided to buy the AM6008/1QTHVLP package off the Homestead Page. They also have an Ebay page and it looked like the same setup was a little more from Ebay. I did call and talk to someone at Homestead Finishing and they do not sell the 3M set up, but told me I would need the #18 adapter and to get the HO Cups.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Qualspray for me also. I have the pps system on mine and order liners and lids off of amazon. I just sprayed cabinets ranging from white laquer to sanding sealer, just change the cap, needle and adjust the cup pressure, great system.
    I've owned my gun since about 2018 sometime and I've only used 2 liners to-date. They clean up beautifully with hot water. I only spray waterborne finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Vavricka View Post
    I did call and talk to someone at Homestead Finishing and they do not sell the 3M set up, but told me I would need the #18 adapter and to get the HO Cups.
    Very strange since I bought the kit from them and it included the entire 3M PPS system in the box. Cost was about $380 give or take...I don't remember.
    --

I'm also still working on my first liner cup. It seems I bought a lifetime supply when I ordered the kit!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Vavricka View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I decided to buy the AM6008/1QTHVLP package off the Homestead Page. They also have an Ebay page and it looked like the same setup was a little more from Ebay. I did call and talk to someone at Homestead Finishing and they do not sell the 3M set up, but told me I would need the #18 adapter and to get the HO Cups.

If you can't buy the gun with the PPS system, I would order the gun with no cup, then buy the adapter and PPS H/O cup separately. The PPS system is SO much better.

John

Given your interest in compatibilitty with a 3M PPS and your needs for waterborne finishes, I recommend this HVLP conversion spray gun from Fuji - the Fuji Spray 2203G Semi-PRO.

Its HVLP tech is great for controlled and smooth spraying, especially on furniture. I've relied on this spray for mostly water-based finishes like poly, paint-primers, primers, etc and it just works like a dream. The Fuji 2203G is also compatible with the 3M PPS cup system, so you're all set there.

However, it's a bit expensive, though. If you can wait it out, watch out for promos and discounts. But overall, it's great value for money. I've been using mine for years now, and I had no major issues.

Another vote for the Qualspray gun with the PPS system here. Good quality, reasonable pricing. I've sprayed everything with it and it's been smooth sailing.