Thread: Dewalt Random Orbit Palm Sander

Dewalt Random Orbit Palm Sander

Hi all,

I purchased a new sander to replace my 20+ year old Dewlat sander. This one came highly recommended. My issue is when I plug in my vacuum I can hear the motor straining as if I covered the inlet. I can feel almost no air going through the 5 holes. On my old one I can clearly feel the air coming through. I can't see any obstruction. It's model DWE6420. Does anyone have this model and have the same issue? Does this sound normal?

Thanks,

Mike

A variable speed vacuum will be a great improvement for that sander. I have an older Mirka that is perfect for that, and a fraction of the cost from Festool.

FYI that "straining" sound is actually the opposite of it. You've reduced the amount of air being moved, so the vacuum is doing less work, and it is speeding up because of less air resistance / less work being done. If you were to put a current meter on the vacuum, you'd see it draws less power. No harm at all in running the vacuum like that.

Now, you might want a variable speed vacuum (or adapter) to minimize the unnecessary noise, but it isn't necessary for the health of the vacuum or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    FYI that "straining" sound is actually the opposite of it. You've reduced the amount of air being moved, so the vacuum is doing less work, and it is speeding up because of less air resistance / less work being done. If you were to put a current meter on the vacuum, you'd see it draws less power. No harm at all in running the vacuum like that.

Now, you might want a variable speed vacuum (or adapter) to minimize the unnecessary noise, but it isn't necessary for the health of the vacuum or anything.

Dan,

I'm no expert on vacuums, but I would think with the ampont of air flow that my vacuum is sucking I should feel some type of air flow though the 5 holes as I do with my old unit. I can lay a small piece of plywood on my table and my old unit can pick it up from the suction of the vacuum.

I plan to try a smoke test to see it I get any air flow. I will also try the dust bag, but from looking at it, the fan blades on the motor seems to push dust out, possibly. The outlet is 1 1/4 but looking into the unit the opening into the base unit is very small.

I'm hoping someone here has the same unit. I will try calling DeWalt tomorrow.