Thread: Schaaf tools- first impressions

Schaaf tools- first impressions

I have been looking to expand my random collection of 12-15 carving gouges but balked at paying the cost of new Pfeil- quality tools and couldn't find a good used set that didn't look to need a lot of work. The Schaaf sets have received good reviews for steel quality and value with the caution that they typically need sharpening if not reshaping and the factory quality control is hit and miss. I got their full offering of three sets through Amazon, 25 tools for $209, figuring that even if some were duds it would be worthwhile, and they do have a reputation for replacing tools that don't measure up to expectations.

I spent a couple hours this morning going through the 12-tool initial set and found that some just needed honing while others needed more extensive work. Half had noticeable striations on the inner face of the tool which cleaned up with a small Dremel grinding point and slipstones. None were really badly made, though several have straight wings tapering to thin corners at the top of the outside, convex surface, making it a little tricky to grind the bevel without rounding the top corners. The handles are coated with a thick glossy finish, not to my taste but not too objectionable. I may sand that off and oil them in future. The tips were hollow ground and generally inconsistent in bevel angle and shape.

I used 180# and 600# CBN wheels on a slow speed grinder to tune up the tip shapes, using a tool rest and hollow grinding to establish the bevel angles and refining the shape by rolling the bevel across the 600# wheel to get a flat finished bevel and soften the heels. I followed up with an 8000# diamond stone and green honing compound on felt buffing wheels. Some folks will probably scoff at using a grinder on carving gouges, but with a light touch the CBN wheels are safe enough for me.

I got four tools completely sharpened and all of the problematic inside cannels honed smooth in two hours, and I figure I will spend about 15-20 minute per tool on average to get them useable. Assuming the steel is all that I think they are a reasonable value. I have spent at least that much time on many of the used edge tools I have picked up in the past. I would not recommend these tools to anyone who is not adept at sharpening already unless they are willing to spend considerable time woodshedding.

Thanks for the comments, I need another carving tool like a hole the head, and I don't have any Schaaf tools, but I am curious about them.

When I started out I had a set of Pfeil palm carving tools, one full sized Pfeil skew, a No. 3 Fishtail and a couple of Henry Taylor tools. I've expanded that over the years, but mostly old tools and old English Makers. Whenever I buy an old carving tool I can figure on spending anywhere between an hour and three getting it shaped and ready. (Chris Pye calls this "Commissioning).

This is also true of Pfeil tools. While they do come sharp, and the straight gouges are usually shaped pretty well (although I have had several that weren't) their V tools aren't usually shaped very well at all. For the work that I do, typically small stuff, I find most of the new tools very thick and chunky and have come to prefer the older English tools, which seem to be thinner in section and more delicate overall.

Enjoy them and let us know how they hold up!

DC