Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shopping for a new beast of a planer

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I run my whole shop on a converter. 3 phase is not available here. Once you have a converter, all other 3 phase equipment is a possibility. Rotary converters are fairly cheap. Phase Perfect is nice, but not a necessity. I would not be afraid of a used SCMI or equivalent, Mine has run hard for 25 years and , has never failed. I see them on the used market for around $5k, as are other premium brands.

You are on the right track, having this planer has been a great thing. Repeatability, quiet, and did I mention repeatability? Its nice to watch the readout and know that .75 is always .75. Having had both, I seriously have to recommend a Tersa, just so simple and fast. Quiet because it has no gullet, and the cut is as it gets. Power height adjustment is awesome. Whatever you get have fun!
    I bought mine at a trade show, the floor model and saved a ton as they did not have to take it home. Just a thought......

You have already had several good recommendations to look for good condition used 3 phase industrial + a phase converter.

You're going to have a hard time finding something in this build quality range in single phase and there's a reason for it. Most real, truly heavy duty planers are 3 phase. I would not put new Laguna in the same category of quality as industrial Euro brands like SCMI, etc.

When I upgraded my planer in 2019 (to an older 20" 9hp SCM with Pro Scale DRO), choose to add a phase converter at the same time to open up my options for a more industrial machine. It started with a used Kay RPC and now I have a Phase Perfect and almost all of my main machines are 3 phase. I am in a small shop in my walkout basement, not an industrial space, fyi. Very glad I made that's choice and have the option of used 3 phase equipment.

Is there a reason you seem set against adding in a converter and considering 3 phase?

Edit: I just looked up the price on the Laguna (!?!) You seem to have ample budget for a nice condition, newer, used SCMI with digital bed positioning and readout and Tersa head or similar and a top of the line phase converter (Phase Perfect)...and maybe even some leftover.
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 01-09-2024 at 6:55 AM.
    Still waters run deep.

I agree with Philip and Larry. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a good used machine like an SCMI, especially with a Tersa or helical head, and a phase converter. A rotary phase converter opens up the door to a universe of industrial machinery and need not be that expensive.

With digital electronics, do you need a Phase Perfect, or will a rotary converter fry the electronics? Not suggesting anything, just don't know the answer to that.

I just took the Phase Perfect route and a Felder D951 planer. Love it, and much cheaper, but not 25" of course, but you said anything over 16" would work (it's 19-7/8"). The Digi-Drive and Power-Drive are really fantastic.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    With digital electronics, do you need a Phase Perfect, or will a rotary converter fry the electronics? Not suggesting anything, just don't know the answer to that.

I just took the Phase Perfect route and a Felder D951 planer. Love it, and much cheaper, but not 25" of course, but you said anything over 16" would work (it's 19-7/8"). The Digi-Drive and Power-Drive are really fantastic.
    Not sure about that? Mine is a mechanical readout like an odometer. I actually prefer it, nothing to go wrong and it has been perfect for many years. I kid that I check my dial caliper with my planer once in a while. You do have to raise the table with a pair of switches, one high speed, and a fine adjustment button, but its easy. As long as it does not have a crank!

Be curious about that question? I have a 50HP RPC, can't afford a PP that large.
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 01-09-2024 at 1:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

I have to ask do you have enough amps to run that machine on single phase? A vfd will give you soft start and reduce starting amps by a large percentage.
    Bill D

Last edited by Nick Crivello; 01-09-2024 at 4:15 PM.

now thats a beast. US made some serious machinery.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 01-09-2024 at 4:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Crivello View Post
    This is a screaming deal! Hell, I'd buy it if it wasn't on the wrong coast and I already have one. Don't wait or it will be gone.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-09-2024 at 7:38 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Larry Edgerton;3294456]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Crivello View Post
    Two options to consider:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...705016018.html

UOTE]

This is a screaming deal! Hell, I'd buy it if it wasn't on the wrong coast and I already have one. Don't wait or it will be gone.
    Same here. Seller has no idea. 5hp in the ad and 33 amps on the data plate.

I thought the 24” Oliver with spiral head at $4k wasn’t too shabby…

Blog Entries
    Here is a big one far away up for auction. I have used a shaper and a drum sander made by Woodmaster. They are both excellent machines. This planer shares the same design ascetic as the sander and shaper, with weldments prevailing over castings.

https://www.purplewave.com/auction/2...g_Equip.-Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Is there a reason you seem set against adding in a converter and considering 3 phase?
    Mainly because I wanted to stay with a new machine, and not used.
    But, perhaps I need to adjust my thinking.
    So, not being familiar with the used planer market, where do I search for something like this?

Here's my new desires:

Used ok.
    $16K or under, including a phase converter. I think the needed Phase Perfect would run about $3k, thus leaving $13k for the planer.
    20" or wider.
    Digital bed positioning, and readout.
    Tersa head, or spiral.
    Minimum stock thickness 1/4"

Nice, but not Must Have:
    Segmented infeed (sectional infeed)
    Infinite variable infeed speed

Where do I look for a used quality machine like this? I'm in Wisconsin.
    Last edited by dirk martin; 01-09-2024 at 11:36 PM.