Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shopping for a new beast of a planer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Shopping for a new beast of a planer

Hey gang....
    Right now I've got a Woodmaster planer, with a 7.5" motor and spiral head.
    I'm considering a serious upgrade, now that end of year says I can afford it.
    I'm looking at the Laguna P25

My favorite features:
    Digital setting of cut depth
    Variable speed feed
    Anything over 15" of width is plenty for me
    Minimum thickness it can plane, is 1/8. I do a ton of thin material.

Any other suggestions besides this Laguna model?
    Must be single phase.
    Last edited by dirk martin; 01-07-2024 at 1:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dirk martin View Post
    Hey gang....
    Right now I've got a Woodmaster planer, with a 7.5" motor and spiral head.
    I'm considering a serious upgrade, now that end of year says I can afford it.
    I'm looking at the Laguna P25

My favorite features:
    Digital setting of cut depth
    Variable speed feed
    Anything over 15" of width is plenty for me
    Minimum thickness it can plane, is 1/8. I do a ton of thin material.

Any other suggestions besides this Laguna model?
    Must be single phase.

At that price point I'd be looking at a used low mileage scmi s630 or s520 and a phase perfect.

If sticking to new Pacific rim machines cantek seems to be well liked.

If you like that machine, save a little money.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...terhead/g0603x

Same machine, different color and I kept getting a 5% discount offer.

Only one 5" dust port? My Powermatic 18" has one 6" dust port.
    Bill D

I have a SCMI 520S and it is all the things you want, except single phase. I went with the Tersa Head and would never have anything else at this point. Changing all 4 knives takes 4 minutes, better cuts than my previous PM with a Byrd. Its a 4 speed, which I actually prefer to electronic speed control. 16-72FPM. Almost no sanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I have a SCMI 520S and it is all the things you want, except single phase. I went with the Tersa Head and would never have anything else at this point. Changing all 4 knives takes 4 minutes, better cuts than my previous PM with a Byrd. Its a 4 speed, which I actually prefer to electronic speed control. 16-72FPM. Almost no sanding.
    Very nice machine, Larry. I think the Tersa head would be fine too, and I love the quick change...but that 3phase requirement, is kind of a show stopper.

Quote Originally Posted by dirk martin View Post
    Very nice machine, Larry. I think the Tersa head would be fine too, and I love the quick change...but that 3phase requirement, is kind of a show stopper.
    I run my whole shop on a converter. 3 phase is not available here. Once you have a converter, all other 3 phase equipment is a possibility. Rotary converters are fairly cheap. Phase Perfect is nice, but not a necessity. I would not be afraid of a used SCMI or equivalent, Mine has run hard for 25 years and , has never failed. I see them on the used market for around $5k, as are other premium brands.

You are on the right track, having this planer has been a great thing. Repeatability, quiet, and did I mention repeatability? Its nice to watch the readout and know that .75 is always .75. Having had both, I seriously have to recommend a Tersa, just so simple and fast. Quiet because it has no gullet, and the cut is as it gets. Power height adjustment is awesome. Whatever you get have fun!
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 01-09-2024 at 6:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I run my whole shop on a converter. 3 phase is not available here. Once you have a converter, all other 3 phase equipment is a possibility. Rotary converters are fairly cheap. Phase Perfect is nice, but not a necessity. I would not be afraid of a used SCMI or equivalent, Mine has run hard for 25 years and , has never failed. I see them on the used market for around $5k, as are other premium brands.

You are on the right track, having this planer has been a great thing. Repeatability, quiet, and did I mention repeatability? Its nice to watch the readout and know that .75 is always .75. Having had both, I seriously have to recommend a Tersa, just so simple and fast. Quiet because it has no gullet, and the cut is as it gets. Power height adjustment is awesome. Whatever you get have fun!
    I bought mine at a trade show, the floor model and saved a ton as they did not have to take it home. Just a thought......

You have already had several good recommendations to look for good condition used 3 phase industrial + a phase converter.

You're going to have a hard time finding something in this build quality range in single phase and there's a reason for it. Most real, truly heavy duty planers are 3 phase. I would not put new Laguna in the same category of quality as industrial Euro brands like SCMI, etc.

When I upgraded my planer in 2019 (to an older 20" 9hp SCM with Pro Scale DRO), choose to add a phase converter at the same time to open up my options for a more industrial machine. It started with a used Kay RPC and now I have a Phase Perfect and almost all of my main machines are 3 phase. I am in a small shop in my walkout basement, not an industrial space, fyi. Very glad I made that's choice and have the option of used 3 phase equipment.

Is there a reason you seem set against adding in a converter and considering 3 phase?

Edit: I just looked up the price on the Laguna (!?!) You seem to have ample budget for a nice condition, newer, used SCMI with digital bed positioning and readout and Tersa head or similar and a top of the line phase converter (Phase Perfect)...and maybe even some leftover.
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 01-09-2024 at 6:55 AM.
    Still waters run deep.

I agree with Philip and Larry. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a good used machine like an SCMI, especially with a Tersa or helical head, and a phase converter. A rotary phase converter opens up the door to a universe of industrial machinery and need not be that expensive.

With digital electronics, do you need a Phase Perfect, or will a rotary converter fry the electronics? Not suggesting anything, just don't know the answer to that.

I just took the Phase Perfect route and a Felder D951 planer. Love it, and much cheaper, but not 25" of course, but you said anything over 16" would work (it's 19-7/8"). The Digi-Drive and Power-Drive are really fantastic.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    With digital electronics, do you need a Phase Perfect, or will a rotary converter fry the electronics? Not suggesting anything, just don't know the answer to that.

I just took the Phase Perfect route and a Felder D951 planer. Love it, and much cheaper, but not 25" of course, but you said anything over 16" would work (it's 19-7/8"). The Digi-Drive and Power-Drive are really fantastic.
    Not sure about that? Mine is a mechanical readout like an odometer. I actually prefer it, nothing to go wrong and it has been perfect for many years. I kid that I check my dial caliper with my planer once in a while. You do have to raise the table with a pair of switches, one high speed, and a fine adjustment button, but its easy. As long as it does not have a crank!

Be curious about that question? I have a 50HP RPC, can't afford a PP that large.
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 01-09-2024 at 1:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Is there a reason you seem set against adding in a converter and considering 3 phase?
    Mainly because I wanted to stay with a new machine, and not used.
    But, perhaps I need to adjust my thinking.
    So, not being familiar with the used planer market, where do I search for something like this?

Here's my new desires:

Used ok.
    $16K or under, including a phase converter. I think the needed Phase Perfect would run about $3k, thus leaving $13k for the planer.
    20" or wider.
    Digital bed positioning, and readout.
    Tersa head, or spiral.
    Minimum stock thickness 1/4"

Nice, but not Must Have:
    Segmented infeed (sectional infeed)
    Infinite variable infeed speed

Where do I look for a used quality machine like this? I'm in Wisconsin.
    Last edited by dirk martin; 01-09-2024 at 11:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    That's a huge budget and you live in the rust belt.

Go used and you can get nearly anything your heart desires.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!