Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Maple and Walnut Roubo split-top bench

Hard Maple and Walnut Roubo split-top bench

I completed my new Roubo split-top bench. I used the plans from Benchrafted, but made it a bit wider and taller. The top measures 87" long by 29" wide. I set the height to 43". This was my firs time to do a houndstooth dovetail and I think it came out pretty good. The finish is three coats of Boiled Linseed Oil.

IMG_1170 Large.jpgIMG_1171 Large.jpgIMG_1172 Large.jpgIMG_1173 Large.jpgIMG_1174 Large.jpegIMG_1175 Large.jpgIMG_1176 Large.jpgIMG_1178 Large.jpg
    Last edited by Bryan Hunt; 01-07-2024 at 2:45 PM.

Turned out great. Like the touches of walnut. Thanks for sharing!!

Mighty pretty, Bryan!

Truly a work of art and a wonderful bench!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wow that’s nicer then some of furniture pieces I’ve made. Beautiful
    Aj

Nice work! Really nice shop in addition to the Roubo.

Looks great! I bet you're loving using it.

Nice! Who wouldn't be happy to use that bench and proud to have built it!

Seriously? Who would actually use that bench. It's a work of art. But I see you don't actually use your shop anyway, so it's all good. I'm mean, really, not a spec of sawdust anywhere.

Congrats on such a beautiful bench.

John

Bryan, a spectacular bench! Thanks for posting. As a general comment I believe it takes courage for members to post in Woodworking Projects. I ask that all commenters be respectful and supportive of fellow members. Let's support one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Bryan, a spectacular bench! Thanks for posting. As a general comment I believe it takes courage for members to post in Woodworking Projects. I ask that all commenters be respectful and supportive of fellow members. Let's support one another.
    Thank you Mark. I totally agree
    Ron

Mark, if your comment was meant for me, you totally missed the intended humor. Hopefully, the OP did not.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Mark, if your comment was meant for me, you totally missed the intended humor. Hopefully, the OP did not.

John
    John, thanks for the response. My issue is that it is intimidating for many to post pics of their finished work in the Woodworking Projects section. And sometimes comments ( from you, me, or others ) can unintentionally be taken the wrong way. Intended humor on forums can be confusing. In any event, I appreciate your expertise on this forum. And perhaps there should be a "please critique" label that is optional for posters in the Woodworking Project section - that would be a daring label for those who want really honest feedback.

I took John’s comment as a compliment. I wish my shop looked that nice.

John, thanks for the response. My issue is that it is intimidating for many to post pics of their finished work in the Woodworking Projects section. And sometimes comments ( from you, me, or others ) can unintentionally be taken the wrong way. Intended humor on forums can be confusing. In any event, I appreciate your expertise on this forum. And perhaps there should be a "please critique" label that is optional for posters in the Woodworking Project section - that would be a daring label for those who want really honest feedback.
    I get your point, Mark. I have often been hesitant to post pictures of projects that I thought wouldn't meet "the standard" of many projects that people show here. On the other hand, woodworking is like golf. As frustrating as it can be, it also can be enjoyed at most any level of skill.

Regardless, that is one beautiful workbench the OP posted, one he should be justifiably proud of. I did not mean to diminish his accomplishment in any way.

John