Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frontline Panel Clamps Review

Frontline Panel Clamps Review

I've never had too much trouble with panel glue ups or been too stressed out during the process, but sometimes it just seems like there is too much involved. You've got lots of clamps alternating top/bottom, sometimes they fold over during a glue up , pinching the ends with smaller clamps, using Dominos for alignment or to prevent shifting, etc., etc. I'm not talking about the 24-30" panel of 2 or 3 boards (e.g. charcuterie board), that is trivial and a good milling process makes quick work of thigs. However on longer and/or wider panels it just takes a bit more to get it done.

I build a lot of furniture and other items that require hardwood glue-ups. It's generally part of almost every project. Even when I use sheet goods, leg/base assemblies and/or drawer fronts are still a critical task that often require gluing of hardwood panels. After a lot of research I landed on Frontline.

What sets Frontline apart from others is not only in the astounding build quality, but in HOW the clamps function/perform. The Frontline clamps actually start pinching the boards together long before they start squeezing, resulting in perfect alignment and a brilliant way to check your milling process before actual gluing. I don't want to bash any other brands, and I will intentionallyavoid naming-names, but fundamentally none of them do everything right like Frontline. The first requirement, for me, was that I didn't want something that took a lot of fiddling. It had to be as fast, or close, to my typical process. I didn't want something that I had to slide boards into or mechanisms that needed alignment or "futzing" around with to get centered. And I wanted something that could glue up thin boards or 8/4-12/4 panels. And, the most important part, was that I wanted a panel clamp that was actually capable of clamping down on the panel. If I need to still use Dominos/biscuits/dowels or clamp the ends with extra clamps or supplement with more clamps, what the hell is the point?

Frontline checks all those boxes. After about 10 glue-ups now, I'm still actually having fun gluing up panels LOL. The process is dead simple. First, you just lay down the bottom half of the clamp. Usually I employ one about 1-2" from the ends (I usually cut the ends off anyway) and then just one every couple of feet. The need for lots of clamps is totally unnecessary. I've yet to feel that I need more than 5 (I actually started out with just 3). If I ever need more, my Bessey's could help with squeezing while the Frontlines do the "pinching". Second, you adjust stop one hole back from where your boards will fit, which is accomplished the usual way, by laying them down flat and seeing for yourself. Next, get the top half of the clamp, place the pin at the same hole as the bottom stop and slide'er into place. Do this for all clamps and lay down your boards for a test fit. Just crank it until the boards are being squeezed together like a typical clamp. If it all looks good, take the tops off, flip the boards, glue'em up and repeat the same steps but give another 1/2-3/4 turn more and you're done.

In summary, these Frontline clamps are one of those tools I've found in my woodworking journey that have truly changed my workflow and are something that I personally find an invaluable asset that I couldn't be without. I purchased them from Tool Guy Republic and while they are stupid expensive, they are built and operate in a way as to justify the cost and will last multiple lifetimes.

Here is a dry-fit of two panels for the top/bottom of a side board I'm building. The total dimensions are 72" long x 33" wide. Final dimensions of the workpiece will be slightly less

Mid panel and end close-up of the actual piece after applying glue

I used 5 clamps, that's it. It took mere minutes to glue and clamp with minimal effort. Took them out of clamps this morning and they're perfectly aligned

Shaper 3D rendering of my design (top/bottom panels above shown). I glued up the center divider with traditional means, but I'll be using 2 fronlines each for the side pieces today.

Last edited by Michael Burnside; 01-07-2024 at 5:09 PM. Reason: Im a better woodworker than speller

Thanks for the nice review. I spent a bit of time about 6 months ago trying to find contemporary reviews of these expensive but clearly extremely well-made clamps. I even reached out directly to the company in Australia a few times but never got a response. Ultimately I ended up buying the Rockler deluxe panel clamps when they were on major sale and saved a lot but clearly the frontline are much more overbuilt.

Your shop is extremely well organized - I don't have the personal discipline to keep large shelves like you have open like that and not crowded with miscellaneous detritus and hoarding stuff. Your glue up photo is basically the one I usually keep in my head right before glue up (brown craft paper and all) but the actual glue up looks more like a street fight in a burning dumpster when I do it!

I like the use of sketchup to render the design. Have you tried Fusion as an alternative - it's rendering options are so much more versatile. I realize Autodesk has changed their pricing structure so that might not be a reasonable comparison (I get it through an educational option). I've started using it more and more for furniture design though.
    Richard Link

Thanks for the review. Pricy for sure at over $800 per pair but they obviously save a lot of labor. For higher production a step up would be a JLT panel rack with the pneumatic flattener but that is several times the cost. I get by with biscuits and aluminum bar clamps, but this seems like a good system for someone doing regular low volume glueups.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Link View Post
    Thanks for the nice review. I spent a bit of time about 6 months ago trying to find contemporary reviews of these expensive but clearly extremely well-made clamps. I even reached out directly to the company in Australia a few times but never got a response. Ultimately I ended up buying the Rockler deluxe panel clamps when they were on major sale and saved a lot but clearly the frontline are much more overbuilt.

Your shop is extremely well organized - I don't have the personal discipline to keep large shelves like you have open like that and not crowded with miscellaneous detritus and hoarding stuff. Your glue up photo is basically the one I usually keep in my head right before glue up (brown craft paper and all) but the actual glue up looks more like a street fight in a burning dumpster when I do it!

I like the use of sketchup to render the design. Have you tried Fusion as an alternative - it's rendering options are so much more versatile. I realize Autodesk has changed their pricing structure so that might not be a reasonable comparison (I get it through an educational option). I've started using it more and more for furniture design though.
    Thanks Richard. Yea I looked long and hard, but after seeing a few older YouTube vids and reading a few forum posts, I called Tool Guy Republic and took a chance. They were great to work with, shipped fast and free. I can say with confidence that the first time I used them, I forgot what they cost...they really are THAT good. I failed to mention that they also make good bar/sash clamps. I recently did an 8/12 maple, waterfall miter glue up and used two clamps to support and keep the miter at 90 while the glue dried.

Off topic:
    The rendering is actually a visual output from Shap3r 3D, which I much prefer over Sketchup. I have looked at Fusion, but without an educator's discount, it's just a bit too hard to swallow cost-wise. I also like the 2D drawing output from Shap3r, which I take to the shop and use while I make the actual design.

Very nice review Michael. It looks like they work very well. Expensive in my mind is a relative measure of value. If they save time, aggravation and smooth the next operations then they are worth what you paid for them. Stay strong when someone here comment's that they have done better work for 40 years using pipe clamps and 2 x 4's

BTW, Fusion 360 has excellent 2D drawing output and bundles in post processors for CNC work if you need that. I've been using it since it came on the market. I haven't mastered it yet, but lot's of online support and tutorials.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Barber; 01-07-2024 at 4:46 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Good review Michael. For most hobbyists, the price is prohibitive. A bigger problem is the limited length of 36". On my last table glue up, the center was 42 inches wide. I did not have that length of panel clamp available and it cost me one hour of hand planing after the glue up. I got another set of Lee Valley panel clamps for $58. I milled up some soft maple 2 X 2's, 60 inches long. Problem solved.

Thanks! Yes I feel like the real expensive tools are the ones you purchase and never use. If you use it all the time and they can bury you with it (as I suspect those clamps will last till the next ice age) then it's worth it. I'm not familiar with Shap3r 3D - I'll need to take a look.
    Richard Link

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Thanks for the review. Pricy for sure at over $800 per pair but they obviously save a lot of labor. For higher production a step up would be a JLT panel rack with the pneumatic flattener but that is several times the cost. I get by with biscuits and aluminum bar clamps, but this seems like a good system for someone doing regular low volume glueups.
    Agreed Kevin, they aren't cheap. I agree there are possibly more "production" options available but that was beyond my scope. Even for a custom furniture builder, these will pay for themselves in a project or two. While I'm only a serious hobbyist, my time is one of the most valuable assets in my shop as a busy professional. I also wanted to store them easily. In the first and last shop pictures, you can see I can store 5 clamps on the top-left shelf, so they don't really take up much room.

I actually bought the 3 pack at 1275 (yes, ouch) and after using them on a couple projects, I was so blown away that I bought the 2 piece set which I think will satisfy my needs. No arguments that they aren't cheap, but I probably have 10 Bessey and a few Dubuque bar clamps I'll never dip into on a regular basis. Even for simple 24-30" glue-ups I mentioned, two clamps is all you need and they are faster to deploy than any other clamp I own. Without question, I have zero regrets and could not recommend them more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    Good review Michael. For most hobbyists, the price is prohibitive. A bigger problem is the limited length of 36". On my last table glue up, the center was 42 inches wide. I did not have that length of panel clamp available and it cost me one hour of hand planing after the glue up. I got another set of Lee Valley panel clamps for $58. I milled up some soft maple 2 X 2's, 60 inches long. Problem solved.
    Thanks Mark. It is not lost on me that the cost is prohibitive for some. A set of these is the same price as a Domino...also cost prohibitive. Had I known years ago that I would buy these, I probably would not have bought at least a dozen of my current clamps. Hindsight I guess. I'm guessing I could pick out 1200 bucks worth of "stuff" in my shop that I need a lot less than these. It's all relative, I get that for sure...

On the 36" limitation, that isn't exactly true. First point, they do offer a 48" version that would suit your 42 inch table. Bit too bulky for me so I bought the ones I did, and >33-35" is well beyond average glue-ups for me. Second, I did glue up a 42x42 coffee table top in 6/12 red oak. How did I do it? I did the glue up in ~21 x 42 sections and then just used 3 of my Bessey 52s and 3 dominos to join the two 21x42 pieces. It's quite trivial to deal with ONE seam.
    Last edited by Michael Burnside; 01-07-2024 at 5:04 PM. Reason: I cant spell

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Barber View Post
    Very nice review Michael. It looks like they work very well. Expensive in my mind is a relative measure of value. If they save time, aggravation and smooth the next operations then they are worth what you paid for them. Stay strong when someone here comment's that they have done better work for 40 years using pipe clamps and 2 x 4's

BTW, Fusion 360 has excellent 2D drawing output and bundles in post processors for CNC work if you need that. I've been using it since it came on the market. I haven't mastered it yet, but lot's of online support and tutorials.

Dan
    Thanks Dan, I agree that expensive is relative and I'm often absolutely stunned how little people value their time.

I'm aware it can be done by other means. One of the best carpenter and handy men I've ever had the privilege of knowing was my grandfather. He's twice the woodworker I am, but I'm ok with that. I think he'd be damn proud at what I've built notwithstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    Thanks Mark. It is not lost on me that the cost is prohibitive for some. A set of these is the same price as a Domino...also cost prohibitive. Had I known years ago that I would buy these, I probably would not have bought at least a dozen of my current clamps. Hindsight I guess. I'm guessing I could pick out 1200 bucks worth of "stuff" in my shop that I need a lot less than these. It's all relative, I get that for sure...

On the 36" limitation, that isn't exactly true. First point, they do offer a 48" version that would suit your 42 inch table. Bit too bulky for me so I bought the ones I did, and >33-35" is well beyond average glue-ups for me. Second, I did glue up a 42x42 coffee table top in 6/12 red oak. How did I do it? I did the glue up in ~21 x 42 sections and then just used 3 of my Bessey 52s and 3 dominos to join the two 21x42 pieces. It's quite trivial to deal with ONE seam.
    Interesting Michael, they do have 48" and even longer without much price difference. I can see how your clamps push the boards together from the edges. What is the mechanism for clamping the boards down towards each other? For the Lee Valley panel clamps, the downward pressure is helpful but not strong - it comes from "stretching straight" the lower and upper clamps as you put pressure on the edges of the board.

Mark, the downward pressure is actually applied first. This is unique to Frontline. Inside the assembly are two very strong springs which push down with great force. You cannot create misalignment, even if you try with all your might once the top and bottom are squeezing at maximum. And with the robust design there is ZERO flex. At some point no more downward pressure can be applied and that’s when the thrust bearing and thread start to apply pressure on the ends. The design is ingenious, mechanically simple and VERY robust.

I'll chime in and say first off, whatever works for you.
    This is just my own personal view, if it works for you, great.

For me it's way overkill.
    They are a clever approach to adding pressure to flatten but that's it.
    Gluing up panels should not involve such an assembly.
    IMO, many don't prep their wood well enough and think that adding extra pressure (clamps) will fix it.
    From Titebond, original formula
    "Enough to bring joints tightly together (generally, 100-150 psi for softwoods, 125-175 psi for medium woods and 175-250 psi for hardwoods)"
    Even cheap HF F-clamps can provide that much pressure.

There is really no need to have such an elaborate setup to glue a simple panel and yes, I also think the price is ludicrous.
    If in a production setting, I can see it, otherwise I fail to see the need.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I'll chime in and say first off, whatever works for you.
    This is just my own personal view, if it works for you, great.

For me it's way overkill.
    They are a clever approach to adding pressure to flatten but that's it.
    Gluing up panels should not involve such an assembly.
    IMO, many don't prep their wood well enough and think that adding extra pressure (clamps) will fix it.
    Edward, thank you for the response. I respect your opinion.

I would like to however respond to the highlighted comment. I made it very clear in my first sentence that a good milling process is key. No clamp, however clever, will correct that. I do however disagree that a good milling process is the only variable to a good glue up, particularly when the width and number of panels increases. I did not purchase these to overcome a deficiency in my milling process.

I also agree that excessive clamping pressure is not needed and while these clamps are capable of very high clamping pressures without flexing, it is quite easy to achieve adequate/necessary pressure and no more, just like any other clamp, except all the benefits therein, as already indicated in my original post. Apologies if my review insinuated that killing the lumber with excessive force was necessary.

Cheers

The big advantage to panel clamps like this or similar or even in a formal rack is that they save time and provide a level of consistency that's a bit harder to accomplish with separate clamps and cauls. If that's important, then the investment can pay off in whatever way is personally meaningful. Those look like really nice clamping products for sure...if a few fell off a truck in front of my address, I'd surely put them to work!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...