Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: super surfacer knife grinder?

Messing with the supersurfacer to see how fine of a shaving i could get

supers1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    A bit of a post ambush. I have been interested in super surfacers since Makita USA released theirs about 40 years ago. I noticed several used machines for sale on ebay from japan - 100 volt. Is it possible to power these in the US?

I have several 100V tools & use this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

They come different sizes/ratings. Quite heavy, & I think mine pulls 40W on standby so I turn it off when not in use.

Power tools from Japan can be a bargain and in some cases have no US equivalent. I recently got a 12 1/4" power plane for $280 shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    Messing with the supersurfacer to see how fine of a shaving i could get

supers1.jpg
    Wow. If you don't have a grinder system, is it at all practical to do the sharpening at home or will you be looking to send them out for sharpening? And if you are sending them out for sharpening, are they something a reasonably equipped sharpening outfit could sharpen?
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

Don't send knives like that to my local sharpening shop- they might come back worse than they went out.

I have several 100V tools & use this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Thanks. I'm going to watch the ebay listings and look for a good one.

Thanks. I'm going to watch the ebay listings and look for a good one.
    Would you be interested in a Makita LP1812C in Peoria, IL? It's like new. Still has the protective film on the remote and new blade in the package. Extension tables in the original box.

More to fill in one's knowledge of these machines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-E9LqxJ5IY

I got very frustrated, very fast sending knives and router bits out to be sharpened, I bought a Marunaka Grinder/ lapper that did all of my straight knives, and i bought a huge tool and cutter grinder for router bits etc.
    I dont know if any grinding shops grind and lap straight knives, The rough grind from the Marunaka was better than any grind from a commercial sharpening shop that I had used. You can of course do the finish lap yourself with a handheld stone.
    I never found anyone that could/ would sharpen the Kanefusa router bit, micro-grain carbide with a mirror finish. That was decades ago, maybe different these days..

Quote Originally Posted by brent stanley View Post
    Wow. If you don't have a grinder system, is it at all practical to do the sharpening at home or will you be looking to send them out for sharpening? And if you are sending them out for sharpening, are they something a reasonably equipped sharpening outfit could sharpen?
    Chip-breaker setup jig with micrometer adjustment to precisely set the distance from the cutting edge to the chipbreaker edge
    micro_setting_gauge2.jpgsupers28.jpg

Hembrug tool and cutter grinder
    hembrug.jpg

Marunaka Manual grinder/ lapper
    GL-450-Grinder002a.jpg

supers5.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Hennebury; 01-09-2024 at 5:00 PM.

The super surfacer looks like a really neat machine, but more than I would ever need or likely have space for. I was thinking that those giant shavings would work really well for starting fires in a wood stove, and that got me wondering what you do with them when you have a lot to deal with. Can you give them away easily, or do you have a use for them in the shop?

There are some small supersurfacers. Makita, Hitachi and Ryobi introduced them into the US in the 80's .
    Mostly just threw out the shavings, got so many.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    The super surfacer looks like a really neat machine, but more than I would ever need or likely have space for. I was thinking that those giant shavings would work really well for starting fires in a wood stove, and that got me wondering what you do with them when you have a lot to deal with. Can you give them away easily, or do you have a use for them in the shop?

Chipbreaker variables blades are wedges and want to split the wood fiber's, chipbreakers help to prevent the splitting ahead of the cutting edge allowing the cutting edge to cut the fiber's Created by Professor Yasunori Kawai and Honorary Professor Chutaro Kato, Faculty of Education, Art and Science, Yamagata University. Video taken in Yamagata Prefecture, Japan.

vfig3.gifvfig4.gif vfig5.gif vfig6.gif vfig7.gif vfig8.gif vfig9.gif
    Last edited by Mark Hennebury; 01-09-2024 at 5:44 PM.

a few more -photos Created by Professor Yasunori Kawai and Honorary Professor Chutaro Kato, Faculty of Education, Art and Science, Yamagata University. Video taken in Yamagata Prefecture, Japan.

vfig10.gif vfig11.gif vfig12.gif
    Last edited by Mark Hennebury; 01-09-2024 at 5:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Would you be interested in a Makita LP1812C in Peoria, IL? It's like new. Still has the protective film on the remote and new blade in the package. Extension tables in the original box.
    I am interested if Bradley doesn't jump on it. Send me a pm.

Richard, I may be interested. I sent you an email.

Richard, I may be interested. I sent you an email.
    I didn't get an email Bradley. I'll send in the money to become a contributor tomorrow so we can start a conversation here. I don't imagine I can post my email address here.