Thread: Bullnose Radius Bit Search

Question Bullnose Radius Bit Search

Anyone know where I can find a 1/2" shank bullnose radius router bit that will cut a bullnose (or bead, or whatever the term is) that is exactly 9/16" from top to bottom? The bullnose will be cut on the edge of 3/4" stock. I've searched all the usual sources and beyond but cannot find one. I need 9/16" to match an existing piece of furniture. It is the molding trim on the aprons of a Thomasville dining table from about 35 years ago.

Thanks for any info!

Len

Is this what you're looking for?

https://www.cncexperts.com/product/c...-x-1-1-8-open/

It's doubtful that Thomasville would have profiled table edges with router bits, and more than likely used a shaper.
    Thomasville, being a large company, can have tooling made for them.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 01-08-2024 at 10:52 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Thanks Mike, but no, that bit has a radius of 9/16, it cuts a bullnose that is 1 1/8" (opening/diameter). I need the bullnose to be 9/16" in diameter. CNC Experts does not list that size on its webite.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Rosenberg View Post
    Thanks Mike, but no, that bit has a radius of 9/16, it cuts a bullnose that is 1 1/8" (opening/diameter). I need the bullnose to be 9/16" in diameter. CNC Experts does not list that size on its webite.
    Hi Len,
    Then you want a 9/32" radius bull nose cutter. Don't think I've ever seen one that size, but Google maybe? I'll look too.

EDIT: Well, that was easier than I thought: https://www.amazon.com/Freud-Radius-...00004T7KB?th=1

EDIT AGAIN: Quite a bit cheaper here, but don't know what shipping is to your location: https://www.routerbitworld.com/Freud...eud-80-128.htm

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Barber; 01-08-2024 at 11:46 AM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Thanks Dan, but that is a beading bit. The top and bottom cutters are slightly different sizes and they don't project exactly the same distance from the body. I have a nice selection of those. A bullnose radius bit (usually comes with no bearing) has top and bottom cutters the same size and length, so you get a uniform bullnose. Thanks very much for looking!

BTW, I have bought many bits from Routerbit World and have been very pleased. Good prices, great selection, quick delivery.

Len, you are correct. The picture on Amazon was deceiving. I don't seem to find any 9/32" radius Half Round router bits. "Half Round" is what Freud calls them, I except that term is universal. I have on the Freud's in 3/8" radius . You might find one of the bit sharper services that could custom grind one for you?

After much more digging around I found an Amana bit that will cut a 35/64" bullnose, aka 17.5/32". Since 9/16 is 18/32, this bit will be close enough that no one will notice. Here it is : https://www.amanatool.com/51558-carb...1-2-shank.html Thanks for your help!

Wow, that is a really weird size. Even if it was a metric equivalent, it would end up being a 13.5mm bull nose. Glad you found one that will work Len.

I'd bet it was a custom size they made for a customer and then added it to their standard product offering.