Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Right Hand Blade on Most Track Saws?

I have never run or owned a track saw. I do own left hand worm drive saws and prefer them. I can run a right blade saw if I have to, at work. Both work ok, just prefer left bladed saws.
    The learning curve is short, and you will adjust quickly if you set your mind to it.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    I think it’s a conspiracy created by the same people that use metric for woodworking! .
    I use metric because it makes it makes my projects sound bigger and more awesome��

My water cooler talk at work “Spent the weekend cutting a piece of oak timber 654 X 432 X 38 thick, the 4 of us were in the shop all day Saturday gitten er done.”

Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I use metric because it makes it makes my projects sound bigger and more awesome��

My water cooler talk at work “Spent the weekend cutting a piece of oak timber 654 X 432 X 38 thick, the 4 of us were in the shop all day Saturday gitten er done.”

Regards, Rod
    HAHA, well played Rob!

I own the Kreg and it has done everything I needed. I didn't buy the whole system just the saw and tracks. I am also a worm drive guy so it just seem correct to me. I used the Festool at work without much trouble but it always felt awkward. My only issue is I would like a shorter track that Kreg doesn't offer.

Interesting discussion.

I have, five circular saws, from 6.5" to 16". Two are right blade, three are left blade.
    Makes little difference to me. It's all a matter of method of work. I also don't have an issue with using either hand when cutting.
    I do think the controls on saws should be designed for both left and right handed people, some are better than others.
    If you use a clamp guide type of system, rather than a saw and track "package", you can use any saw on either side of the guide, whatever is comfortable/safe for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Plummer View Post
    I own the Kreg and it has done everything I needed. I didn't buy the whole system just the saw and tracks. I am also a worm drive guy so it just seem correct to me. I used the Festool at work without much trouble but it always felt awkward. My only issue is I would like a shorter track that Kreg doesn't offer.
    Well, you have a saw. Making a shorter Kreg track doesn't sound too hard.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Barber View Post
    Well, you have a saw. Making a shorter Kreg track doesn't sound too hard.
    True that! I actually had to do this with my self-made MFT using the Dashboard system. One track Festool offered was too short, another too long. So...I bought the long one and cut 14" off of it. Turns out the 14" is great when attached to my 108" track for long panel rips!

Let the track do it's job so it shouldn't matter what side the blade is on. Like a table saw, a track saw is all about the setup. During operation, you're only focus should be on safety.

The worm drive saw is one of the few tools seemingly designed for left-handers. The wider part of the base rides on the stock as you cut, and small offcuts don't hang up in the guard.

Maybe getting a saw with a right side blade is a bad idea because it will make you realize how lame the worm drive is for right-hand use.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    I think it’s a conspiracy created by the same people that use metric for woodworking!

Hey...I resemble that remark!! . And my CNC sounds more impressive at 1250x1250 rather than 49x49, too.

---
    But yea...edge of the track's splinter guard goes on the line so there's no need to "see" it up close and personal. The good side being toward the worker is also a good point that I should have mentioned earlier, too.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-10-2024 at 12:48 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The better track saws are inherently safer as well, the blade is completely enclosed other than whets below the work surface, it has a riving knife and anti-kickback built into the track interface. I don't see this fact mentioned very often in these discussions.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Being a Tool and Die Maker by trade. It didn't make any difference since almost everything I built in my 60 years was a right hand feed. Even if it was on a coil. which was a feed from the end of the press was a right hand freed . Even jigs and fixtures were loaded with the right hand. I am left handed, probably more ambidextrous than most. Stop and think about it, wood is fed into a table saw with the right hand. Even with a jointer the is wood is feed into a jointer with the right hand. Even miter gauges are a usually set up for a right hand feed

Now the longest reach when breaking down plywood is ripping it basically down the middle is at 24 inches or at 48inches.and having 2 pieces of 48 inch plywood is not a normal cut.

I cut all my plywood out side and yes the Kreg meet the right hand feed however if you if you reach a crossed the guide rail, guide rail toward you body you have a right hand feed. and the saw dust is directed away from your body and not toward it. And since the saw is trapped on the guide rail the sight line is a moot point and also dominate eye doesn't inter in.

The only difference on a track saw is where you possession your body to make in a right hand or left hand feed. If you position the track between your body and the cut you will have a right hand fed.
    Tom

I don't understand the whole right hand on sidewinders and left hand on worm drive saws. I am right handed and prefer a worm drive saw, only own 1-5 1/2", 4-7 1/4". 2-8 1,4" and 1-10 1/4" worm drives. NO sidewinders here. Started on sidewinders and used the best in the field at that time.
    Don't use the saw on the off cut either
    Ron

It is mostly person preference which comes from what you started on and are more familial with.
    Tom

Don't forget to take a look at the Milwaukee track saw. I did a lot of research and asked for the Milwaukee for Christmas. By golly, I got one. Now if I can just find some track...