Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Edge Sanding Guide for Random Orbit Sander

I have the 125 and the edge guide; works as intended. Especially useful when the workpiece is thinner than 3/4, as it becomes more difficult to maintain the sander square to the edge as the edge gets thinner. I have so many different kinds and sizes of sandpaper it didn't bother me to add another and the smaller size and weight is a plus for many of the projects I do.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Switching to a hard backing pad helps alot in not rounding edges. I added a couple hard pads to help

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Switching to a hard backing pad helps alot in not rounding edges. I added a couple hard pads to help
    Good point George. I only use hard pads personally. The original pads that came with my ETS 150s are still in the box.

You guys are such enablers. Guess what's in my shopping cart right now?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Barber View Post
    No need…it’s in my cart too

May as well add to my cart as well. I considered a stationary edge sander but prefer taking the tool to the workpiece instead of the workpiece to the tool, especially for large workpieces. The stationary tool also takes up room that I would rather devote to other uses. The issue of having to stock 5" sanding supplies as well as the 6" I already stock was a concern. But I suppose that the smaller size sander would be handier for edge sanding applications. Thanks for all the comments and insight.

LOL, remember that when we are on the fence about buying something....we might need a little push. Wife: You bought *another* tool???? Me: Dan made me do it....
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I have one for my Festool, its absolutely worth it. Unless you see both results side by side you really do not realize how free hand sanding makes your edges look "off". With the edge sander I get very crisp edges. 2 small downsides are you have to use a couple of screws to install and the work piece really needs to be clamped down.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mayer View Post
    I have one for my Festool, its absolutely worth it. Unless you see both results side by side you really do not realize how free hand sanding makes your edges look "off". With the edge sander I get very crisp edges. 2 small downsides are you have to use a couple of screws to install and the work piece really needs to be clamped down.
    Thanks Robert. I'm telling my wife you made me buy it...I had no choice.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
    Or where SMK will make you spend your money

I started on a 125 ets ec and loaded myself up with a few hundred Granat discs. before I made a serious dent I upgraded to a Mirka 150. It was a great deal. 550 for deros with 5&6" pads, 200 abranet discs, vacuum hose. I sold my ets for $250 and that vacuum hose for 75. Only thing I needed to do was put a festool Plugit on the mirka which unfortunately ran $70. So all in all it cost 250 to upgrade with ability to do 5&6 and got all the free paper. Now the question is what do I do with the 5" stuff? I havent thought of a reason to go back to 5". Should I sell it?

I get excellent results with it. I have used it several times and, for those situations, it worked well and saved me a lot of time. Plus, most of the sanding dust is collected which isn't the case with hand sanding. Can you edge sand by hand or with a RO sander? Sure. It's just easier for me to get great results with the guide.