Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long would an Amazon Show last on a UPS?

Don't know your cable method and topology but it could be they have power generation backup like the cell towers to keep things going. If your access is via a cell service then that explains it.

Possible that the cable also has battery back up (POTS systems have so, as do I think cell towers). It may also be that where the cable terminates (needs power) was outside the area where the power outage happened - which does mean you could get the odd situation where you have no cable because the power is out for it, but you still have power.

I do wonder how long those battery backup for cable/cell towers last. I think there have also been cases where they were not properly maintained and then did not last as long as expected because going to all the cell towers and replacing the batteries is a bit of work.

From what I see the backup time requirement is not firm and may be dependent on how much load, likely more meaning important, is on the given tower. One thing said 2-4 hours and then later there was mention of FCC requiring 8 hours so take your pick. Batteries are commonly backed up by diesel generators and there are special long-life cell tower batteries but it wasn't clear if these were available or in development.