Thread: Grizzly Bearing Guides vs Carter Guides for G0513 Bandsaw

Grizzly Bearing Guides vs Carter Guides for G0513 Bandsaw

I recently purchased a used Grizzly G0513 bandsaw in good condition. It has the original Euro guides on it. I'd like to upgrade.

I found both the Grizzly H9565 guides ($98) as well as the Carter 17/19 ($290) guides as upgrade options. I'm soliciting opinions
    as to whether, for a HOBBIEST woodworker, the Carters are worth the 3X uptick in cost.

I'm actually curious about this as well. I was under the impression that bearing guides are preferable but people rave about Carter guides. I have the same bandsaw and need to replace the bearings on my guides. Would love to know if Carter guides are better than the bearings.

Of course there better just ask Carter.
    I do know the BS has more "expert" ways to set it up "right" than any tool in the shop, guides included. You can find very experienced guys who swear bay Carter & those that don't. I'm sure Carter guides are built better, machined better & look better than stock Grizzly guides, but will they improve on your saws performance is probably only something that you would know after you swap em out.

I thought carter guides had bearings?
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I thought carter guides had bearings?
    Bill D.
    Agreed. Wondering if the OP mean ceramic?

When my ceramics wear out I’ll probably pickup a set of Carters.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    Agreed. Wondering if the OP mean ceramic?

When my ceramics wear out I’ll probably pickup a set of Carters.
    By Euro-style (the ones that are currently on it), I mean these:

g0513.euro.jpg

[Credit to "mdhills" from a different forum]

I'm not sure if the side guides are ceramic or not.

I guess the real question is, has anyone tried the Grizzly Ball Bearing replacement guides for the G0513 available here:

https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...g-guides/h9565

I asked Carter and they said their guides are great

In what way are the stock guides not meeting your needs, and what improvement would you like to see from the new guides?

The side guides look like carbide brazed to metal to me. I suppose carbide might be considered ceramic.
    Bill D

My GO513X2 came with the H9565 guides. I'm well pleased with their performance and they are easily adjusted also. YMMV
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    My GO513X2 came with the H9565 guides. I'm well pleased with their performance and they are easily adjusted also. YMMV
    Both of mine did as well although purchased years apart. I bought a tube of the guide and thrust bearings many years ago. They were not much money, are quick to change, and have worked well for me. I bought a tube of 10 years ago and still have a few left from that original tube. When I got low I bought another tube but have not opened it yet. these are wear items on your machine; they don't last forever. I am still on the original tube of the thrust bearings. I bought mine from VXB.com and got the sealed versions instead of the shielded versions. They seem to last much longer.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

There's kinda where I was going. I don't have any issues with the current blade guides, but the newer
    Grizzly models went to ball bearing guides. I was just inquiring with other Grizz 17" band saw owners.

Thanks