Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router Base Plate

Router Base Plate

Just received the Bosch Colt router. I would like to purchase an aftermarket baseplate which is larger. Goal is to add stability. Suggestions appreciated.

Check out 3x3 custom router Jig https://www.3x3custom.com/store/6-in...rim-router-jig, I bought it a while back and have not used it yet due to some Medical stuff. It seams like a s. olid system

What Dan said...I was going to refer you to Tamara, too. If I ever buy a small trim router, I'll be buying her base, too. It's amazingly versatile and I believe it was physically manufactured by Katz-Moses.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

+3 what the guys above said.

I bought one to support Tamar, but I haven't actually used it yet. I donated a few tools to a local shop that helps out folks in the business and if I didn't donate it, you can have it no charge. I'll PM you tonight if I still have it.

I actually like what I currently have on my Dewalt and Milwaukee palm routers the best: https://www.woodpeck.com/stabilmax-t...uter-base.html

Cheers,

Let's make it a clean sweep.
    I bought the one from Tamar too and have used it a couple times.
    It's predrilled for a number of routers so it fits me Makita and DeWalt.

Tamar has a YouTube on using it for various different things.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAVT65WeCBE
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I'm in the "roll your own" tribe.

One additional never seems to do it for me. So I add to the herd as needed for specific tasks.

If I'm sure it is a one-off, then BORG 3/8 ply or BB, depending on how important.

Otherwise, this stuff. I use 1/4" but that may be overkill. Cuts, routes, drills, chamfers, countersinks like a dream.

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/129/4047/8574K819
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    Is there anyone out there making plates like Routerman did?

CLean sweep +1 ... I also just bought Tamar's router base plate jig (3x3 Custom)
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    Is there anyone out there making plates like Routerman did?
    If you find any, let me know. I have a couple for my old colt, and would love similar for the new model.

Maybe I should just order some polycarbonate sheet.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    If you find any, let me know. I have a couple for my old colt, and would love similar for the new model.

Maybe I should just order some polycarbonate sheet.
    I don’t think there is. Nobody has ever said and I’ve asked asked at different times…

I'm a member of the DIY group. I've made around 25-30 different bases over the years, always use the factory base as the template for the mounting holes.

Blog Entries
    The Bosch template was the problem for mine. It had a factory tolerance which made it off center., it was okay for general routing, but no good for dovetailing. Routerman sent me a clear Bosch plate tat had a perfect center and now my router works for dovetailing no matter how it is turned..

I ended up buying a piece of 1/4” plexiglass and plan to make my own. The Woodpecker plate looks awesome but the cost plus shipping in almost as much as what I paid for the router. The 6-1 jig looks great but most of the functions I will never use.

I paid $27 for a 12” by 24” 1/4” thick plexiglass from Amazon and the shipping is free. Hopefully I won’t regret my decision.

I've made a bunch of custom router bases over the years for different purposes. I don't think I ever made one where all the holes lined up perfectly first try. I believe every one of them had to have one hole finessed with a file and countersink, but they all never moved only having two perfect holes.

left over plexi glass from past jobs using the stock base to transfer holes.