Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will a track saw ever replace a table saw?

Will a track saw ever replace a table saw?

Will the track saw ever replace the table saw? Or replace the accuracy of the able saw?
    Tom

No. ............

Track saws replace job site table saws if you don't need to make long rips. They are more accurate, safer, easier to move, and leave a better edge.

Keep it in the shop for at least a week.

Blog Entries
    Replace a tables saw no..

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bussey View Post
    Will the track saw ever replace the table saw? or will the track saw ever replace the accuracy of the table saw?
    Tom, it depends what you’re doing and how accurate your table saw is.

If you have a cabinet saw, then a track saw could be more accurate for sheet goods.

If all you do is solid wood material, the track saw could be less convenient and accurate.

If you have a format saw it could be superior for sheet and solid material.

Regards, Rod

Blog Entries
    “ If you have a cabinet saw, then a track saw could be more accurate for sheet goods.”

How would a track saw be more accurate than a cabinet saw?

Does one not know how to use a cabinet saw?

let’s take the internet and forums away and go to 10 cabinet shops in the area. Report back with what they are using to cut sheet goods…
    Last edited by jack duren; 01-12-2024 at 3:58 PM.

My table can cut a 4 inch thick chunk of wood above the table. Maybe a track saw could after spending time setting up a fixture to hold it and a experienced operator with good hand eye coordination.
    I say no not nearly as good. Especially solid wood
    Aj

I thought about this for a good 2 seconds, NO
    The ability to cut things like dados, tenons, finger joints, and on and on, are some of the long list of things that make a TS so versatile. Not to mention the endless array of jigs and fixtures that can be used on a TS.
    A track saw, for all it's features, can not compete. It is after all, just a guided circular saw.

No

I have a Festool TS75 with rails, a Milwaukee worm drive that runs on EZ rails, and a Makita circular saw that runs on EZrails. They're nice, convenient, safe, and kind of fun, but they will never replace a table saw for 100% of the use.
    It's just too fast to move the fence on a table saw and go to work.
    I have many friends in the building trades, and none of them have a track saw as a primary tool. They have large format sliders, panel saws, or they pay someone to process sheet goods for them.

I think that track saws may one day earn the disparaged reputation of biscuit joiners because they're being over marketed. They have a place, but it is not every place.
    The biscuit joiner is an amazing tool, for it's designed application. So too are tracksaws.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Not a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    My table can cut a 4 inch thick chunk of wood above the table. Maybe a track saw could after spending time setting up a fixture to hold it and a experienced operator with good hand eye coordination.
    I say no not nearly as good. Especially solid wood
    Andrew
    They can be very useful to begin the material process though.
    This is 2”+ thick walnut, and my TS 75 can put a very nice straight edge on it. That particular piece may not be 2", but the rest of the material was. That board underneath weighed a ton. After that, once the material is more manageable, the table saw is much more efficient.
    The longest straight edge rip I have done was 9’. That was in 1-1/2” padauk. These rips were in the 5’-6’ length.
    The TS 75 does an okay job with thick, solid lumber, but I don't really like the Festool Panther, rip, blade. It seems to struggle.

IMG_3728.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 01-12-2024 at 9:39 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

A table saw can easily cut multiple boards to the exact same width with one setup. Good luck setting a track saw to cut six pieces within. 1/1,000". You do know the human eye can spot a 1/1,000" difference in a joint don't you.
    Bill D

Why would it have to?
    Why does this have to be an either/or type of question?

My track saw compliments my table saw and vice versa. For what I do, I consider both essential.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Why would it have to?
    Why does this have to be an either/or type of question?

My track saw compliments my table saw and vice versa. For what I do, I consider both essential.
    Agreed. I have a TS75 and it has its uses, but stationary saws are still #1. Small parts for one, not really possible with a track. I am space challenged in my new shop and have the TS out in the storage barn to rip 4x8 sheets lengthwise before they move to the shop. This has been worth the cost in and of itself. I also made a base for a 16" Makita so I have the worlds largest track saw!