Thread: Spiral cutter head bit torque setting...50 inch lbs doesn't seem tight enough.

Spiral cutter head bit torque setting...50 inch lbs doesn't seem tight enough.

I'm rotating the carbide cutters on a Byrd spiral cutter head for my 8" jointer. I'm using a Tekton 2-way click wrench. The recommendation is 50 inch lbs but it doesn't "feel" tight enough. I can loosen 50 in lbs fairly easily with a hand held torx screwdriver, MUCH easier that the pressure required to loosen the factory installed cutters. It feels like the factory tightened at a higher torque than 50. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Scott, that doesn’t seem to be an unusual setting for a torque screwdriver, is that what the head manufacturer recommends?

Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Scott, that doesn’t seem to be an unusual setting for a torque screwdriver, is that what the head manufacturer recommends?

Regards, Rod
    Hi Rod, yes Byrd recommends 50 in/lbs. Doesn't seem tight enough considering the speed and force of wood on cutter.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Scott I think it will be fine as long as your torque wrench is accurate. I use the Wheeler fat torque wrench never had one come loose . Before I bought the wrench I did break a few here and there.
    I remember thinking the same thing seems to lite.
    Good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

There is little force on the screw itself. The cutters lock into position, the screw only holds it in place.
    Use the manufacturers specs.

With a support ledge for the cutter to lean on, and the taper on the bolt, I see no reason to second guess the manufacturer.

Over tightening machined parts and fasteners does more harm than good

The insert is carbide it will not deform as torque is applied. The only deformation is bolt stretch. so it is a well defined number. I would trust the companies torque. I assume no insert shims are used? What size is the screw?
    Bill D

http://www.greensladeandcompany.com/...e%20Screws.pdf

I tightened to the factory spec....thanks for the replies.
    Scott Vroom

Edward had the perfect reply.
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC