Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leveling guidance

Leveling guidance

Good Evening.

I'm fairly new to woodworking by hand and I'm trying to get better at 'leveling' surfaces. I'm currently building a table with hand tools (+ a circular saw and table saw for rips) and I can get the top "pretty" flat, but I doubt it's as flat as I think it is.

I'm currently using an amazon #4 (converted to scrub plane), an LN 5 1/2, and an old Stanley Type 7 #7 that I restored.

My question to those of you who don't use a powered jointer + planer; Do you utilize longer straight edges than a #7 or #8 in your workflow? I was looking at something like the Veritas Aluminum Straight Edge in 38" or 50" as a way to help identify low spots.

Right now the way I identify them is with reading shavings from the #7 and using the #7 on it's edge as a straight edge that I walk down the surface.

Obligatory project info and photos:

Project is a dining room table, Legs and top are in cherry. Aprons and dowels will likely be walnut. Drawbored mortise and tenons for the joinery, and cherry buttons to attach the top to the aprons. Legs are 2 3/8 thick squared from 10/4 stock. Going to put a taper on the inside of the legs. Top is from 8/4 stock and will have a bottom bevel with a land. Yes the top is very heavy, and yes I'm working on a plywood out-feed table.

This is the 10/4 stock before I had it completely milled down and cut into the legs.
    IMG_3370.jpg
    IMG_3369.jpg
    IMG_3368.jpg

This is me doing some fitting for the jointing before glue-up.
    IMG_3489.jpg

This is the top after flattening.
    IMG_3547.jpg

And just a random pic of the #7 I cleaned up. She works pretty well for her age.
    406580953_24731159519831344_7977370687368654690_n.jpg

Blog Entries
    I have a very heavy duty long level designed for setting door jambs. It is 6' 6" long. I use it in conjunction with a work light. I have not used it on a whole table top but it is a big help when working on edges.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    I see you have the winding sticks. As far as straight edges go, it is easy to make your own.

I have a copy of the procedure, send me a PM if you would like a copy. (last time I did a web search it was a bit of a trick to find it)

It was used to make a couple pairs of winding sticks > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?290331 < Winding sticks are essentially straight edges and can be made to any length one would like.

Another thing that works well is a few blocks of wood and a string.

That shows up in the post #13 in this thread > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?272588

It was originally in this post by Stanley Covington > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?258087

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Working on a 7’ by 3’ table top. I used a combination of 38” & 50” aluminum straightedges and homemade winding sticks to do it (with advice along the way from the forum). You can get the LV straight edges but whether or not you do I’d recommend getting the book ‘Euclid’s Door’. It talks through making your own straight edge and other similar tools.

Thanks for the link Jim. I'll definitely try to make some longer winding sticks. The one's I have currently are just from pine scraps that I made quickly out of necessity when taking twist out of the individual boards for the top.

I really like that line and block method you linked.

Tony I'll pick up that book. I just finished 'The Anarchist's Workbench'. Are there any other titles you'd recommend for someone learning the craft?
    Last edited by Michael J Gardner; 01-12-2024 at 5:27 PM.

If you are already using a table saw and circular saw, just take the top to a cabinet shop and run it through the thickness sander. What's one more power tool? If it would make you feel better, hand plane the top after you get it flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Gardner View Post
    Thanks for the link Jim. I'll definitely try to make some longer winding sticks.

Tony I'll pick up that book. I just finished 'The Anarchist's Workbench'. Are there any other titles you'd recommend for someone learning the craft?
    I’m a big fan of Scwarz books and videos. I’m also a fan of David charlesworth method. His newer videos are more watchable. The book ‘The New Traditional’ woodworker’ by Jim Tolpin was recommended to me early on and is an excellent resource (and has a project to make a straight edge). I’m reading ‘Joined’ and the companion book by the guys at Mortice and Tenon magazine that I got for Christmas They’re good but they wouldn’t be the first I’d recommend. That would probably be the Tolpin Book or one of the Anarchist books from C S.

‘’Kirby book on Dovetails is another good read but obviously specialized.

Richard, I certainly thought of doing that but I really want to just put in the work and figure out how to perfect flattening by hand. The only reason I used the table and circular saw was out of necessity. The only saw I had at the time was a Japanese Ryobi pull saw, and it wanted to slide right regardless of the type of wood I put it through, or the thickness, when ripping. The table and circular saw belong to my land lady's husband. I did just restore an old 4 TPI rip cut panel saw. Medallion says Warranted Superior so it's likely a second. Plate was in good order, lots of steel left, and it was fun learning to restore and sharpen it. The handle had part of one horn broken off but I reshaped it with some files and put on some new finish. Works really well for ripping.

Blog Entries
    Michael, here is the image that I couldn't include in the text I sent you (in two parts).

Straight Edge Image.png

It includes some of the text so you can see where it lands overall.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Welcome Michael. One thing you can do is start looking for really nice quarter or flat sawn 2x4 when you are at the home store. Without knowing your location I don't know if you are looking at SYP or DF for construction lumber, but they are out there either way.

The good news is the current month is January and the mills are going to start spooling up for spring construction season more or less this week. You are looking for a stick of two of 2x4x96 that has no grain runout, no knots, no pith, and no mix of heart and sap wood. If you are out west like me you will be looking at Doug Fir and your instrument/shop tool grade DF is going to be the pink heartwood. I haven't picked through much SYP ever.

Once you find your Excalibur/ Glamdring 2x4 you will want it stickered and stacked with some weight on it for 18 months in climate control before you machine it s4s, and then you will have a reliable straight edge, 8 feet long, for $4.99.

For shorter spans, I have plenty good results with fiberglass levels. I have a 24" and 48" fiberglass levels on hand, they work fine for straight edges since I don't use them for much else. Not sure how much a 96" fiberglass level would cost; but you could take one home today and put it to work as soon as you carry it into your shop.

You could look at 8 foot angle iron, but stout enough to stay square and straight when held at one end is going to be heavy and expensive.

I have both a Bailey #6 and a #8 and am not looking too hard for a #7. If I had a #7 I doubt I would be looking too hard for a #8. LN makes good stuff, no question. In my advancing decrepitude I have a whole lot more use for a #5 than I do a # 5 1/2. If you are fairly young, something like a #3 or #4 as your general purpose smoother is probably next. Once you are over that hill a #5 is a whole lot cheaper than going to the shoulder doctor if you keep on leaning on the 5 1/2.

At some point on the age/money graph it will make a lot of sense to just buy a lunch box planer, keep your smoothing planes and figure out card scrapers. I have ass/u/me-d you are making furniture and not doors.

Besides your winding sticks, I see you have also set up a guide block so you can rapidly set angles with your honing guide. You are off to a terrific start. At this point my advice is to not get bogged down in side quests. Just write down the rabbit holes that distract you in some kind of journal, finish the dining table; then review the side quests recorded in your journal to see what you want to explore next.

You got this.

There are a couple of fallacies promoted by YouTubers like Chris Schwarz and David Charlesworth that you want to avoid. They demonstrate planing for the camera and then go back to their machinery for these tasks afterwards. Often in videos they start with a board that is already machine planed and it is questionable whether their planing actually improves flatness.

One fallacy is that using a plane of appropriate length will insure a flat panel. Any plane is capable of flattening a panel (longer planes are slightly easier), And any plane is capable of planing out a convex surface if used injudiciously.

The other fallacy is that there is a set procedure to be used (like plane across the grain, plane diagonals, etc) to flatten a board. The most efficient method is to use winding sticks and straightedges to identify the high spots and plane only them. Some boards don't need any crossgrain planing for instance.

Long straightedges are easier, but it is possible to discern flatness with one that is shorter than the board. It requires multiple checking and the ability to analyze the results, which I suspect you have. Using the plane as a straightedge is a clumsy beginner's trick, not used historically. Peter Nicholson in Mechanics Companion ​(1812) gives a procedure for making straightedges.

Neither Schwarz of Charles worth were, or are, youtubers. Your bias is showing.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Well, still learning planes. That will probably last a life time, or the next 30 or so years, which ever comes first. Straight edges are mandatory. I would suggest starting small first, then stepping up to larger projects.

robo hippy

Here's the book Warren is talking about.

https://archive.org/details/PeterNic.../n237/mode/1up

Even though the methods described there are not very detailed, you'll quickly figure out what to do. Going after the high spots is the most efficient way to start the process, as opposed to just bulldoze through the whole board with a scrub plane.

The real reason for going across grain or at a diagonal is that it's just easier to hog off wood with your body mass behind the plane.