Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dying Epoxy

Dying Epoxy

What is the best way to dye epoxy with out losing glue strength? I need some black epoxy, Deep dark black. and I'm not sure how to do it. I'm short on time, so I would like to find a method where I can get the ingredients in a small town. TIA
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

For a solid, opaque color, I go for acrylic paint. A few drops usually do the trick.

Before using it on your entire project, make sure to test first. Mix a batch and apply on a patch of wood to see how it cures. Good luck

I have dyed epoxy many times and used universal tint used by paint stores to mix paint. Stop by your local paint store with a small condiment container and ask for a couple drops.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Blog Entries
    I prefer dry powder. Graphite powder makes a lovely black.

https://www.wisebond.com/products/gr...28588347064425

Photo on 1-13-24 at 8.47 AM.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 01-13-2024 at 9:52 AM. Reason: link
    Best Regards, Maurice

If you have access to consumed laser printer cartridges, there is usually recoverable black toner powder remaining you can salvage. It is very fine.

Blog Entries
    I tried Lock Ease graphite lube from Ace. It worked but had a very slippery feel and a grey tinge.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Finely powdered charcoal, or as others have mentioned, black ink toner work fine. I generally add a few drops of trans-tint black as well, just to get the dispersion down to the molecular level, but it's not really necessary if your mineral pigment is sufficiently finely powdered.

I use black leather dye.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

These are some creative and great suggestions. I have to wonder about the solvent for some. Acrylic paint, and leather dye are usually water or alcohol based. Will that cause a problem mixing into the epoxy, or causing the epoxy bond to be weaker?
    Brian

John, Do you get the tint for latex paint or oil based, or are they the same?
    Brian

I’ve been using the same very small container (less than a couple ounces) of System 3 epoxy colors for about a decade now - a little goes a long ways. Been looking for it online lately and they still make it. Time to reorder…this time I’ll get some of the brown along with the black. I use it with West System epoxies and only mix what is needed to fill cracks and voids. If I’m using a single pump from the metered pumps a single drop gives a solid, opaque black.
    I spent - or possibly mis-spent) several years rebuilding wooden boats, so have a stock of West System stuff. Their microlight filler is a nice medium brown while the fairing filler is a little lighter. Both sand well and a container roughly about a liter sized has lasted me forever. It’s good stuff for filling cracks and voids with something that looks a lot like wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
    John, Do you get the tint for latex paint or oil based, or are they the same?
    They are the same.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Over 40 years ago, my wife made the mistake of buying a jar of instant Folgers crystals and bringing it home. I detest instant coffee. I have that jar in my shop and have used it to tint epoxy black on a lot of projects. I just crush some crystals and mix them with the epoxy.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken,that's a great idea for instant coffee.

Both acryclic paint and black ink toner worked fine for me before. They're very easy to find too.