Thread: Another Miter Saw Station Question - Max cut angle

Blog Entries

Another Miter Saw Station Question - Max cut angle

My Bosch 4410 Dul Bevel SCMS cuts a max of 52 deg right and 60 degrees left. The 4410 is an older saw that has rails in the back so it requires significant space behind the saw. I am building a miter saw station and in the design, I am not sure I would ever cut a 52 deg plus miter, I can cut that on my table saw or with a track saw. And I have never needed to cut those. So unless I can see a need, I am contemplating the saw shelf to only accommodate a 45 L/R cut. (I never do crown molding). Is my thought sound?

Bosch Drawing SMC10.jpg
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

When I built a dust collection enclosure for my miter saw station I built it for 90 degree cuts only. I can remove the left and right panels (magnetic) if I need to cut angles but with reduced DC. I guess it's a tradeoff. Works great 95% of the time for me. Depends on what you do. Mostly I'm just cutting lumber to rough length.

I do use mine periodically to cut 45 degree angles. So I built my enclosure to allow that (hurts dust collection, but allows those cuts). I don't think I've ever gone beyond 45 degrees (haven't ever done crown molding either.)
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Tim, is your question about how to cut an angle sharper than 45° on a miter saw?
    Here's a screenshot from a youtube video that shows how - clamp a sacrificial board in place, cut a 45° miter, put the hero board against the sacrificial one and trim the end. This gets a 22.5° angle, obviously.
    You can calculate for other angles easily.
    Might not be the safest cut but it's doable.
    Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 5.41.10 AM.jpg

As I say, not sure if this was your question?

Makes total sense to me. If you rarely find yourself going beyond 45 degrees and have other tools for those odd angles, why not optimize the miter saw station for what you use most often? I've found that aligning your workspace with your most frequent tasks is key to efficiency.