Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Cooking Smells

herbs like rosemary, thyme, and roasted chicken!

Frying bacon and anything in the smoker have got to top my list.

On the negative side, however, is a strange one. About 8.5 years ago, I developed an allergy to eggs, which runs in my family. Prior to that, I ate lots of eggs (probably a dozen a week) fixed in various ways. Since the discovery of my allergy, I now can’t stand the smell of eggs frying. Makes my stomach turn, and I used to enjoy that very smell. Even if bacon grease is used to scramble eggs, they don’t cancel out—the egg smell overwhelms the bacon smell and repulses me.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Tough to narrow that down, there isn't much that has already been mentioned that wouldn't be on my top 25, 50 or 100 list. But...if i had to pick one only...maybe fresh crushed garlic hitting a pan of hot butter & olive oil. That just says "something really good is on the way"!!

Almost too many to list

Indoors: Bacon, Coffee, Pot Roast, Bread

Outdoors: Pretty much anything on the grille. Burgers on the Weber is a classic smell, as is Brisket on the Big Green Egg.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

For Christmas, I make "Smells of Christmas." I take a large stockpot, and add cinnamon sticks, dried oranges, tangerine, lemons, nutmeg, grapefruit skins (small pieces), vanilla and whole cloves. Add water, bring to a simmer, and it smells like Christmas.
    Regards,

Tom

Blog Entries
    My mothers macaroni and cheese. My dad used to go to a Kiwanis dinner meeting and my mom would make macaroni and cheese using Kraft Old English cheese. We would eat while watchingCarol Burnet.

Kraft Old English came in a brick like Velveeta but it more like cheddar. Sadly,Kraft stopped selling it in the US. I think maybe they still sell it in Canada but only wholesale. Sysco shows it on their website. I need to cultivate a business owner in canada willing to buy the cheese and ship it to me. That’s a lot of moving parts.

I recently started making a Hungarian goulash. Oh, good golly, does that smell good when it's simmering on the stove! It's like a plussed-up beef stew. Here's the recipe video if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmvLyGMy9Wo&t=682s

I really like this guy. He's a New Yorker who demonstrates how to make the Italian-American food he grew up eating.

I remember when I was a kid, 6 or so, my parents cooked a load of crabs one day and it stunk the house up so bad I couldnt be inside. It was during a heavy summer rainstorm. I sat on the front porch for 8 hrs to avoid it.

Blog Entries
    I was waiting for someone else to bring up NOT favorites. During the time that I was the live in building maintenance guy in a community center, a group held a soul food dinner and made chitterlings. I had to vacate for several days.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I remember when I was a kid, 6 or so, my parents cooked a load of crabs one day and it stunk the house up so bad I couldnt be inside. It was during a heavy summer rainstorm. I sat on the front porch for 8 hrs to avoid it.
    Children slowly learn to understand flavors and textures. You can’t make them like anything beyond Mom’s milk and sugar.

Boiling chicken for Brunswick Stew today – the aroma got me thinking about favorite cooking smells. Baking bread is a classic, but I'm all about the sizzle of garlic, the earthy herbs, and the rich scent of simmering soup. What's your go-to kitchen fragrance?

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Jhone View Post
    Boiling chicken for Brunswick Stew today – the aroma got me thinking about favorite cooking smells. Baking bread is a classic, but I'm all about the sizzle of garlic, the earthy herbs, and the rich scent of simmering soup. What's your go-to kitchen fragrance?
    Sesame seed oil.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Jhone View Post
    When making Brunswick Stew, I add both Boiled Chicken and BBQ pork. If I don't have BBQ, I take slow cooker pulled pork, add vinegar based BBQ sauce to it along with some liquid smoke. Quickly shred both meats in the food processor.

Blog Entries
    Brunswick GA had their Stewbilee yesterday. I understand there is a bit of a controversy about the origins and the recipe.
    Best Regards, Maurice