Thread: Waxing my Snowshovels

Waxing my Snowshovels

It never occurred to me to try this till yesterday. It works when the snow is slushy but the best wax is ?

Car wax is easy to apply but it wears off quickly. Pam, for baking, same. Hard wax like paraffin is difficult to apply. Suggestions?

Torque.

I put two coats of that stuff on my 2019 Kona - that sits outside all the time - when it was new. Snow still slides off the finish and it still beads water.
    After a good rain, the car looks like it just came out of a car wash.

Super simple tp apply. Spray it on, let it dry and wipe it off. It wipes off 10 times easier than anything else I ever used.

There's other ceramics out now that are supposed to be better, but, Torque is the one I used. I overbought it. I figured it would be something I would have to redo every year so I bought a three-pack of bottles as a "best buy". I still have half of the first bottle.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

My experience is that I don't need to wax snow shovels if they're kept outside. If I bring one from inside the snow will melt against it and then freeze and stick.

Blog Entries
    For many years, I have rubbed an old paraffin candle on my snow shovels. Once I have the surface pretty well covered, I open the oven door and turn on the broiler element. I place the shovel under the broiler just long enough to see the wax melt. Once that happens I removed it , tilt it back and forth in all directions to even out the wax. Let it cool and then is ready for use. If you store your shovel in a cold place you are good to go. If you keep it in a warm place, let it cool off outside for about 30 seconds before use then no snow will stick.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I would say a small torch to get the blade warm should allow the parafin to be easily applied. My shovel is plastic and doubles as a mulch shovel for 8 yds in the spring. It has been going for 8 years now and was used when I took it from my office. I have a snowblower that does walkways and driveway so it only needs to do front porch and 2 steps but nothing sticks to it.

Plastic snow shovels outside all the time and I don't recall sticky being much of a problem. Of course, all snow is not the same.
    I do put cheaper generic PAM down snow-blower chute which seems to help with wetter snow but as said, it does wear off but is real easy to apply.

Weed burner torch and rub on paraffin wax.
    Bill D.

Torch to melt paraffin. I used to also do this for XC bindings, tips & tails.

You might try the method I use for waxing cast iron surfaces in the shop. Using a box grater, grate some paraffin, then disolve in deoderized mineral spirits. Put in spray bottle, spray surfaces. After MS has evaporated, buff the surface with an old Tee shirt.

Dupont chain saver lube is wax in a spray can. Does not leave a very thick coat. I can not see the wax with my eyes when it dries. Does wonders for sliding surfaces like under the tablesaw gears etc. I suggest you buy one for the shop and try it in a shovel.
    Bill D

As some have mentioned keeping your shovel at the same temperature as outside is the best. But since I keep my tractor with a 6 foot front plow in the garage during the winter I've had good luck using this Dupont product for years. https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflon.../dp/B0031T82NO