Thread: Stanley 921 8in brace knob removal.

Stanley 921 8in brace knob removal.

My Dad and Grandad had this brace before me. I'm trying to get it all cleaned up and back in working order. I got the rest of it taken apart and will get that cleaned up. However I've taken the screws out of the knob and can't seem to get the wood part off. It spins decent when vertical but there seems to be a catch in it when spinning while horizontal. I was hoping to get it apart and get all that cleaned out too. Any idea how it was attached in the first place? I don't want to give it kinetic encouragement without first knowing if it is stuck or not. Any help would be great! Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

On my millers falls braces, they are threaded. You remove the screws, and then unscrew.

I tried that, the thing wouldn't budge. I have to try the vice. I just can't get a good grip on it is my guess.

MIGHT be the ball bearings inside causing the catch? Perhaps all but 1 or 2 have fallen out that hole where a set screw USED to be?
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

There are 3 holes that go into the wood through the metal in the picture. The other hole is for oil. At least that is what the stamp near that hole says. I took the screws out before picture was taken. There was no screw in the oil hole.

It is threaded on.
    Find a punch that fits as closely as possible in the oil hole and hold the head and turn the pad counter clockwise.

Phil

Allen key in there and it twisted right off. Thank you! Any idea what kind of grease is under there or is that the oil leaked up into the threaded part?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Joshua Hatcher; 01-16-2024 at 7:51 AM.

Who knows what previous owners may have used. It could be anything.
    I would remove the C-clip, don’t drop any bearings, and clean it up.
    Since the bearing speed is so low the lubricant is not critical.
    You can use a light grease or oil to lubricate. I use bicycle bearing grease on mine. Ballistol oil or 3-in-1 oil will work too.

Phil

Don't worry if you lose a few bearings. They can run fine without the full load. If they are corroded, you might want to replace them anyway.

Last time I did one I got replacements for a couple of dollars on ebay.

The grease has been hardened in every one I have had apart, so once I got mine cleaned up I just used a little bit of three in one oil to lubricate.

Blog Entries
    Many bicycle shops will have individual balls for bearings that can be purchased. They are used in the headset (handle bars and front fork) tube. Bring an old ball in to get the right size.

I use a light grease or motor oil depending on what is at hand.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)