Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: vertical milling machine in the woodshop?

Mills generally don't spin fast enough for woodworking.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    If you are running production, I agree. Otherwise, no. Hardwood cuts fine at 1500 rpm. I’ve been cutting it for 30 years.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

A two axis DRO will really help layout work. Or go full CNC.
    Do wood routers with CNC do the calculations for bolt circles, hexes etc?
    BilLD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Do wood routers with CNC do the calculations for bolt circles, hexes etc?
    BilLD
    It depends on the software but generally, yes. I will draw up draw up bolt circles and the like in AutoCAD and import it into the cnc software for toolpathing. I use AutoCAD simply because I’ve been using it since the 80’s.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Andy

That hasn't been my experience.
    Mine has been that drill presses don't spin slow enough for wood working. (I'm confining it to drill press operations.)
    I have kicked myself in the behind for years for not buying a milling machine.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

For years I have had hots for PM stomp mortise machine. But what are chances coming across a good used one at price I can afford. Odds winning lotto is lot better, but so is coming across knee mill. Buying a good end mill I believe will last person for ever using it for woodworking. One day I will get caught up, retire and have time to act like I’m woodworker, instead of hacker.

I purchased a Grizzly Mill/Drill many years ago. I would not want to be without the machining capabilities of small mill after owning one for such a long time. I did have to add the motor for the table, its a very nice upgrade to the standard mill/drill.

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney View Post
    For years I have had hots for PM stomp mortise machine. But what are chances coming across a good used one at price I can afford.
    Check out HGR in Texas. They will have some cheap worn out junky mills more then good enough for wood.
    Bill D.
    https://hgrinc.com/productDetail/Mac...l/12230010020/

https://hgrinc.com/productDetail/Mac...o/12230500010/
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-18-2024 at 3:36 PM. Reason: fixed quote taggimg

As an alternative to the standard drill press for woodworking, I prefer the radial drill press. I think it would be easier to use for woodworking than a mill with a nice ability to drill far from the edge. I have a Delta radial drill press modified with a VFD and power lift. Nice that the head raises and lowers with a flip switch without any movement side to side. Having the table not raise or lower facilitates the use of extension tables. Of course, the mill offers the option of use with metal and the very precise way of moving the wood. Just an option.

Delta TW 1 copy.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice, very nice

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Gelman View Post
    As an alternative to the standard drill press for woodworking, I prefer the radial drill press. I think it would be easier to use for woodworking than a mill with a nice ability to drill far from the edge. I have a Delta radial drill press modified with a VFD and power lift. Nice that the head raises and lowers with a flip switch without any movement side to side. Having the table not raise or lower facilitates the use of extension tables. Of course, the mill offers the option of use with metal and the very precise way of moving the wood. Just an option.

Delta TW 1 copy.jpg

4 flute non center cut endmills ... ramp them in ... pressure on the quill and crank the table back and forth until you're at depth.

No different than what you'd do with a slot mortiser.

Does just fine in metal ... done it for decades.

I'd certainly prefer a 2 flute if given the choice.

Joel, a drill press chuck is not an endmill holder. The endmill may pull out and the bearing are not designed for side loading. A carbide endmill is even more likely to slip out of a chuck then HSS.
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    I mill very slowly and carefully with my drill press as well. Mine can spin fast enough to use router bits on wood (on a very limited scale). There is a good thread with videos back in the archive. I nee to upgrade my X Y table.

Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 01-19-2024 at 6:53 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Note that a horizontal milling machine would offer very very few advantages over a table saw.
    Bill D