Thread: Face frame design

Face frame design

Building a 3 drawer cabinet for the office. Solid panel sides with a face frame. Mission style no toe kick, 4" high bottom cross piece. Would it look better to run the side vertical pieces top to floor or cut the bottom cross piece full width and have the vertical sides come down and sit on top of the bottom cross piece. Thanks. Brian
    Brian

Blog Entries
    Normally we run the stiles to the floor..

Blog Entries
    You can build it either way. It depends upon the look you want. A google search will show many Mission Style cabinets with drawer that the stiles don't go all the way to the floor.
    Screenshot 2024-01-16 124559.pngmisson style cabinets.png
    Here's a link to a site with lots of Mission style cabinets with drawers (no affiliation).
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I think I am in between styles I see. I have solid panel sides and plan to cut the foot into the bottom of the panel and match that on the bottom in the front. I didn't want to see the front edge of the side panel so I was planning on a face frame attached to the side panels but stuck on whether to run the vertical stile floor length or into the 4" high piece on the bottom. I wasn't planning on carrying this 4" high cross piece around into the sides. Pretty sure I am over thinking it at this point. thanks for the input. Brian
    Brian

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    I didn't want to see the front edge of the side panel so I was planning on a face frame attached to the side panels but stuck on whether to run the vertical stile floor length or into the 4" high piece on the bottom.
    Here is a cabinet I made with a face frame that has what you are thinking of doing.
    20130905_1848.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Here is a cabinet I made with a face frame that has what you are thinking of doing.
    20130905_1848.jpg
    Lee, nice piece. My top horizontal stringer is only going to be 1" to maximize drawer space. Yours is larger and has nice symmetry. I reviewed both designs with my boss yesterday (My wife) and she likes the vertical stringers going all the way to the floor, so that's the current plan. I will probably change my mind three more times. Thanks. Brian

Adder to original post. I showed my wife your piece. We like how you did it, but I would have to make my top horizontal piece wider and I can. may I ask what is your proportion between the two? I was planning on using 4" on my bottom and I could increase my top to 2". thanks again. Brian
    Last edited by Brian Runau; 01-17-2024 at 7:57 AM.
    Brian

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Lee, nice piece. My top horizontal stringer is only going to be 1" to maximize drawer space. Yours is larger and has nice symmetry. I reviewed both designs with my boss yesterday (My wife) and she likes the vertical stringers going all the way to the floor, so that's the current plan. I will probably change my mind three more times. Thanks. Brian

Adder to original post. I showed my wife your piece. We like how you did it, but I would have to make my top horizontal piece wider and I can. may I ask what is your proportion between the two? I was planning on using 4" on my bottom and I could increase my top to 2". thanks again. Brian
    Here is a dimensioned view of the cherry entertainment center. Sorry for the dark background, but it is easier on the eyes when drawing in cad. Send me a PM with your email address if you want the jpeg file which can zoom in more than what appears here. All wood thickness is 3/4". It is all solid cherry except the back panel.
    ChrisEC.jpg
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-17-2024 at 5:44 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Here is a dimensioned view of the cherry entertainment center. Sorry for the dark background, but it is easier on the eyes when drawing in cad. Send me a PM with your email address if you want the jpeg file which can zoom in more than what appears here. All wood thickness is 3/4". It is all solid cherry except the back panel.
    ChrisEC.jpg
    Lee, Thanks. 2" top 3-1/2" bottom. Since my bottom is 4" think I'll go 2-1/2" on top. Really appreciate your kindness. Brian
    Brian