Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think I'm going to bail on TB111 glue

I think I'm going to bail on TB111 glue

The weird substandard results are accumulating. Maybe shelf life, maybe lower temps.

Life is too short to wonder if the glue will work this time...

glue starts going downhill at some point and its not that long, even if it works for years its not what it was. I forgot what Helmetin said on their brand and they make good stuff.

Glue should be stirred. Even if glue is warm if your material isnt you will have issues.

cant speak for tightbond used a few of them but almost all was Helmitin.

The TB111 has a minimum temperature threshold. Since it's the winter season, the glue will tend to finish white after setting. If you notice it turning white once dried, that's a sign it's too chilly in the room. I've run into this a few times during winter myself, and it usually means I need to crank up the heat a bit in my workspace.

Another is, it's a water-based glue. If the surface you're working on is oil-based, it will not stick well.

This has come up before in a number of good sources . It is not as good as Titebond 2. There are some good waterproof glues.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    The weird substandard results are accumulating. Maybe shelf life, maybe lower temps.

Life is too short to wonder if the glue will work this time...
    This post would benefit from a description of the substandard results you have experienced, including shelf life and environmental conditions in your shop. I am no great fan of Tlll but some people use it with good results. Are you following the manufacturer's guidelines? http://titebond.com/product/glues/e8...c-b53970f736af

Never heard of this glue? 811 is for flooring not wood. AFAIK they do not make a 111. maybe you mean 771?
    BilL D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Never heard of this glue? 811 is for flooring not wood. AFAIK they do not make a 111. maybe you mean 771?
    BilL D.
    I think he means “Titebond III,” or Titebond 3.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I've experienced the same thing with that glue. Definitely wise to explore other options. I stick with Titebond 2 for most projects.

8 years of using nothing but tb3 with the exception of 1 8oz bottle of 1 and 2 when I first started. I havent had any issues save a 1/4 gallon that hit 2 year mark and turned grey I tossed it.

I use TB Original for everything except canoe building or anything else that will be in water, which gets epoxy or Gorilla Glue. I used TBII a little and didn't like it as much, and have never tried TBIII. Around here the hardware stores sell gallons of II and III but I have to place a special order for Original.

TB 2 Extend, original dark or Epoxy for me. The formula for 3 leaves a sub-par glue line sometimes and doesn’t clean up as well.

Like others say, life is too short, try something else and forget what others say or what YouTubers do

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    This post would benefit from a description of the substandard results you have experienced, including shelf life and environmental conditions in your shop. I am no great fan of Tlll but some people use it with good results. Are you following the manufacturer's guidelines? http://titebond.com/product/glues/e8...c-b53970f736af
    Agree that more info would add to the value of the thread. I have used TB-III on almost everything (furniture-wise) for 15 years. The long open time, dark cured color, and strong first tack have worked well for me. I do use TB-I for lighter colored woods to avoid any visible seam. TB-II has a pretty short open time but has more than enough if you do a dry run and have everything at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    8 years of using nothing but tb3 with the exception of 1 8oz bottle of 1 and 2 when I first started. I havent had any issues save a 1/4 gallon that hit 2 year mark and turned grey I tossed it.
    I was thinking that maybe this was a temperature or storage thing since I am in sunny SoCal. George's experience in New Jersey belies that idea. Franklin has stated that as long as the glue will re-blend if separated it will still perform well. I once had a partial gallon that was stored long enough to separate. I just tossed it. A project made from hundreds of dollars worth of wood is not worth risking over $10 worth of glue.

I have had TB-II and others skin the walls of the container if they are in something like a Glübot or a glue pot / brush. Fortunately a Glübot is only a few bucks so after one becomes too difficult to clean out (6 years or so INE) I just replace it. I am not a spendthrift but at some point my time is worth more than $8.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Temperature and oxygen inside the container will affect all glues.

I've never been a fan of T3 - too runny for me. I prefer https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...s-glue-2002-gf .

Not for outdoor or wet usage but long open time and it stays put.
    Howard Rosenberg

My shop is in a basement where my furnace is located. I've used Titebond III for everything I've done the last 15 years without problems, except one seam shift in a table top and I've gone to II for table tops. I let it cure 45 minutes before I unclamp the piece. I shake the bottle each time before use. I only purchase the 16 oz size one at a time. Brian
    Brian

I used TB III for a couple of years, every project, but for the last 3 years, as I mentioned above, I've avoided TB III for personal reasons already stated. That said, Brian makes a good point about buying in quantities you use. I just buy one 16oz bottle since that will last me a few projects and when that's about half'ish way done or I take inventory before I start my next furniture build, I just pickup another. I also just use the bottle the glue comes in.