Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Sump Pump

My sump pump in the basement only runs when the air conditioner is working and draining into it. footer drain drains into a stream that is about 5 feet lower then the basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    IMHO submersible sump pumps are unreliable. Sure they work fine when new, but they are a motor underwater and seals and steel casings do fail without warning. When we first purchased our house we had a submersible. A few years later it failed and we had a partially flooded basement. I replaced it with another submersible and five-six years later it failed.
    The sump pump at my previous house ran about every ten minutes so it ran a lot. The only problem I ever had with a submersible pump was the float switch went bad and the pump ran continuously. The pump eventually burned up due to running non-stop, and probably not having enough water in the pit.

I would look at the Pentair Hydromatic sump pumps they are what the septic companies here use and they last for years

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Cinsider a water driven pump from Liberty Pumps. If you lose power this thing works using city water pressure. I’ve had three of them and they work.
    I've considered that if power loss is a common occurrence. Where we live has a fair amount of commercial activity nearby (grocery store, drug store 2 banks etc.) so power outages are rather uncommon and brief.