Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cold Hands

I also have Raynauds Syndrome, and have to wear heated gloves in spring and fall on the motorcycle. I saw the heated gloves today at Costco, but wasn't able to grab a pair (time).
    I'm very wary of gloves when working with machinery.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

If you're looking at options, go for those with adjustable heat settings. This way, you can adjust it until you settle at the right temperature for you. Also check the battery life. Some can last for hours and if you're taking long walks, this is great for longer exposure to the cold.

Years ago, I've tried a pair from Outdoor Research. They're heated gloves with great insulation. They're a bit of a splurge, but if you're frequently in the cold, they're absolutely worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Terence McGee View Post
    If you're looking at options, go for those with adjustable heat settings. This way, you can adjust it until you settle at the right temperature for you. Also check the battery life. Some can last for hours and if you're taking long walks, this is great for longer exposure to the cold.

Years ago, I've tried a pair from Outdoor Research. They're heated gloves with great insulation. They're a bit of a splurge, but if you're frequently in the cold, they're absolutely worth it.
    The gloves I mentioned at Costco have a low,medium and high setting and last from 6-4-2 hours.

I hate to say it, but the heated steering wheel in my new car is the best thing since sliced bread.

When snowblowing my hands are always on the cold handles. I tried mitts with liners. Can buy oversized but the thumbs are always cut the same, not room for enough liners.

A friend is outside a lot with horses. She wears heated gloves by Wasoto. I got a pair and they work pretty well. Well made too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    When snowblowing my hands are always on the cold handles. I tried mitts with liners. Can buy oversized but the thumbs are always cut the same, not room for enough liners.

A friend is outside a lot with horses. She wears heated gloves by Wasoto. I got a pair and they work pretty well. Well made too.
    Anyone remember the chain saw that Paul Harvey advertised? It had heated handles. It was supposed reduce your chances of getting some kind of disorder.
    Best Regards, Maurice

lady friend had that. I think she was able to minimize it in some way but her fingers used to change colour right away in the cold. I took my starter motor out in the driveway last night it was -25C with the wind. Didnt make it more than a few minutes before the sting was too much. No feel and finger tips useless. No time pressure just come in and had the wood stove going. Could not wear gloves enough of a bother to be working on it and not have it on a hoist . Small area and one bolt not seen so longer to get a socket and extension onto it.

Working with metal objects like wrenches etc. is a real heat sink on the hands and fingers. When I was in high school I worked in my father's garage and cold was not usually too much of a problem since it was in the Vancouver BC area. Often cars were worked on outside. When I moved to Ontario, I quickly found out why the garages never had anybody working outside in the winter. I don't have a heated garage and I never bother trying to do work on the car myself in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Anyone remember the chain saw that Paul Harvey advertised? It had heated handles. It was supposed reduce your chances of getting some kind of disorder.
    My snow blower has heated handles. They help, but I still wear my heated gloves when using it if it's really cold, or especially if it's windy. Although, I didn't need to run the blower at all last year, and not so far this year either. We have a few inches on the ground now, enough to clear...but it will be back in the 40's next week so I probably won't bother.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

My son also has Renauds syndrome. He found that some (not all) motorcycle gloves also have heating elements in the fingers !!! Big help...
    Also some gloves have connectors that can use the batteries that are used to charge your phone which makes getting spare batteries easier.
    Sorry, do now know brands... Check with a good motorcycle dealer or snowmobile dealer...

I have heated gloves, socks, and a vest. The heated gloves work well but the battery only lasts a few hours on high. I've only used them twice now and I didn't charge them after the first use so I can't exactly say how long. I used them for a couple hours while clearing snow with my tractor. About 2 hours in I noticed that they shifted down from high to low and then just shut off. They use the same batteries as the socks (which are wonderful).

Like you both my hands and feet no longer do well in cold temps. After a half hour working outside with normal heavy gloves I can start feeling pain in my fingers when the temps are below 20. I doubt I would have bought anything heated if I had to pay full price but now I'm looking at a second set of gloves.

My wife was given heated gloves (with batteries) for Christmas a few years ago. She is a small, thin woman who does a lot of outdoor chores here in winter, and has always struggled to keep her hands and feet warm, and in addition has Reynaud's syndrome in her hands that is exacerbated by leukemia, make the cold hands problem worse. She absolutely loves the heated gloves. Says they have transformed being outdoors for her. I'm considering getting myself a pair, because as I age, I have started to have trouble keeping hands warm myself. Based on her experience, I'd highly recommend them.

Appreciate you bringing those particular gloves to my attention! Costco isn't normally on my radar for that kind of specialized winter accessory but seems they have a compelling product.