Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Be honest here

Be honest here

How many spend more time on woodworking forums than working in the shop?

Guilty as charged but in my defence it's +3C in my shop right now and +20C on my couch with a nice fireplace burning.

Not in the shop lately, but dealing with wood outside.
    So no, more working than typing.

Some weeks, until I start an interesting project. Too much other life in the way. Going to work in the shop requires a minimum commitment of a few hours, and thats getting harder to come up with. Reading this and other non-w'working forums only takes a few minutes as part of my morning routine.
    < insert spurious quote here >

I sort of have to work in the shop, as it is my income source. My shop time is anywhere from 2 to 10 hours on a typical day, or occasionally more or less that that. So far this month I've made 7 banjos and a guitar, and I started on a fiddle today. Time spent on here probably averages about 10-15 minutes a day, at a guess, and I'm not on any other woodworking sites, though occasionally I visit them after a search to find out about a used machine I am looking at, or something like that.

I'm putting together a gara-shop.
    Where I currently do 90% of actual woodworking (which mostly has been making shop furniture) is the JC WW class which I take 2 eves a week, 4 .5 hours each class day (Tues and Wed = 9 hrs).
    So maybe a max of 20 hours a week... the othe 11 hours is spent making drawings or doing sanding and glue-ups, or small routing/drilling.
    So yes, I probably spend more time on forums (not just this one) in a week than I do WW. Also I spend time on YT vids (mostly WW ones)
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Blog Entries
    Ha-ha-ha. I probably hit the forum at least once a day. However, since retiring I hit the shop . . . a lot.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I try to spend at least a couple hours a day there. Sometimes I get more and sometimes I get nothing. I love love love my radiant floor heat though. Besides keeping it at a steady 60-62 with having the tractor out a lot lately clearing snow and going out a few hours later and almost all evidence is gone. No squeegeeing water out.

That was probably true when I had a full time job, now my shop time exceeds my computer time by a good 10:1.

100% of time on computer
    have ended up with some nice planes from James Spangler
    Shop time has been non existent for too long,

Ron

does watching Red Green on you tube while in the shop count?
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Its about equal. 30-45 min M-F on forum and 4-5 hours in shop on Sat

Blog Entries
    It varies. Right now I don't have any projects going on in the shop. I read a lot more here since became a moderator.

Some days, an hour or less. Recently 2-3 hours per day.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-19-2024 at 11:11 AM.

Blog Entries
    I’ve not been able to be in the shop since July, but getting there..

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Too much other life in the way. Going to work in the shop requires a minimum commitment of a few hours, and thats getting harder to come up with. Reading this and other non-w'working forums only takes a few minutes as part of my morning routine.
    That sums it up nicely.

I got into 3D printing a year or so back, which has sucked up a lot of my remaining creativity. (Not that I've had a lot of that lately anyway.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.