Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand screw clamp storage?

Hand screw clamp storage?

How do you store/ organize wooden hand screw clamps? Haven’t figured out anything I’m in love with. Found some rocker clamp racks that I like. Put another style up today.’IMG_6265.jpg

This hangs over the table saw/assembly outfeed table, backed up to a cross cut sled. The clamps do not have to be adjusted as long as they fit over the dowels.

IMG_4718.jpeg

Cameron's suggestion is good. I have quite a few bar clamps mounted on 1/2" rebar driven into a 2" thick wall cleat. My two handscrews are clamped to a shelf, and you could do the same with a fin mounted anywhere, but it does require adjusting the clamps for storage. My old employer has dozens stacked on a couple of small dollies with a 4' high vertical post through the handscrew centers.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    An advantage to having a knee mill in the shop. I does make opening the garage door a PITA.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I hang my F clamps on my garage door guide rails, on the back end, so they don't mess with the garage door when I open it. I hang my speed clamps, C clamps, spring clamps and handscrew clamps on the lip of the shelf that holds the radio. I just clamp them to it. I hang my parallel clamps against the wall, behind the F clamps, clamped to an L bracket.

I try to limit my number of clamps, as much as one can anyway. They can eat up a ton a money and room. And I don't have many handscrew clamps because they frankly aren't all that useful. There are a few instances where you NEED a handscrew clamp. But if I can get away with using a different style of clamp besides the hand screw (or C clamp for that matter), I will.

I find them incredibly useful.

I use this thing they call a 2x4, works great for all kinds of clamps
    Clamp-1.jpg

Blog Entries
    I only have a few hand screw clamps, less than a dozen. They can be incredibly useful in many situations. Many of mine are clamped to the vertical rails of shelving. In this position they are used like an additional shelf for note pads, a hat or a place to hang my coat until they are needed.

A pair of my larger hand screw clamps hangs from a rack attached to the cross braces of my roof structure. The rack was there when we moved here.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

153592D.0.jpg

I have something like this on french cleats. I get 6 on without issue. they take up less room in this orientation

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    153592D.0.jpg

I have something like this on french cleats. I get 6 on without issue. they take up less room in this orientation
    I have one like that. I use it for ones that don’t quite fit the specific type ones I have up. Tried the hand screws on it but no joy.

Hand screws, the question was about hand screws.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post

Here is a picture……
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is how I hang the large hand screws.

IMG_2063.jpg

PCG

Blog Entries
    I used to do this:

G-blade-handscrew-storage.jpg

A piece of rope with a series of loops knotted into it.

Now I do this:

McLaren-Handscrews (4).jpg

Plywood tongues sticking out from a cleat mounted fixture.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    So true. So true.
    I have 2 hand screw clamps that were given to me. They have not seen much use.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney