Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat Storm 6000 Garage Heater

Heat Storm 6000 Garage Heater

Does anyone have a Heat Storm HS-6000-GC in their shop?

I just ordered one from Amazon at a pretty good deal, I'm not sure if it was a misprint on their website or not but they had it listed for $181.24.
    The order went through & now I see it listed for $209, so I guess I got lucky.

Anyways if anyone is using one of these Heat Storms in their shop, I'm kind of curious on how they mounted it!

I have a couple of options for mounting the heater but seeing that I'll need to run a dedicated 30-amp line for it, I'm trying to figure out the best location to mount it.

Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

I had a similar product in my old shop for a couple years before I bought the mini split. It worked fine but was a different brand and physically larger. You want to mount it so that it projects its air flow out into the shop...a corner is good and one that there's less likely chance of it getting smacked with a piece of lumber.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I had a similar product in my old shop for a couple years before I bought the mini split.
    I've been looking at the mini splits for a little while now, unfortunately I would need to upgrade the main panel in my house & the service entrance line before going that route. Possibly an option down the road a bit, but that's kind of out of the budget for now.

I installed a 60-amp sub-panel in my garage with 6-ga. wire, but due to my main service entrance line's capacity, I'm currently only able to supply a maximum of 45-amps to the garage sub panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Walls View Post
    I've been looking at the mini splits for a little while now, unfortunately I would need to upgrade the main panel in my house & the service entrance line before going that route. Possibly an option down the road a bit, but that's kind of out of the budget for now.

I installed a 60-amp sub-panel in my garage with 6-ga. wire, but due to my main service entrance line's capacity, I'm currently only able to supply a maximum of 45-amps to the garage sub panel.
    And your power provider won’t come out and give you a new service line so you can buy more of their product???

We have something similar to that in the tackroom in the barn. It doesn't get used much, but when it is I think it would be about the same operating cost as burning dollar bills for heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Mooney View Post
    And your power provider won’t come out and give you a new service line so you can buy more of their product???
    When I checked on upgrading my service line from 100-amp service to 200-amp service, they said they will only come out to do that when a new main-panel / meter box / and entrance cable has been installed. The best quote I got for upgrading the main panel /meter box / & entrance cable was around $3000 & that was a couple years ago.

I have natural gas for heat / water heater / stove / & clothes dryer, so the electrical usage is pretty low.
    A friend of mine that worked as an electrician (now retired) did a power estimate on my house and figured out that I probably only draw about 45~50 amps with all the lights on & everything running at once. My AC unit is on a separate interruptible-meter & that draws about 18-amps, but it's still connected to the main meter box/service cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Mooney View Post
    Not that simple. Upgrading electrical service requires a permit and inspections for the new main panel and meter housing that needs to be installed along with larger feeder cable, etc. It's not inexpensive, unfortunately. The upgrade of my home's service from 200 to 400 amps plus the feed to my shop after splitting it 200/200 was about $6000. As the OP mentioned, his upgrade would likely be about $3000 because of all the stuff, the labor, etc.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-19-2024 at 8:12 PM.
    --

I got my Heat Storm heater the other day.
    Being that it needs to be hard-wired & I'll have to run a dedicated 30-amp line for it, I want to try to figure out the best location for it.

You want to mount it so that it projects its air flow out into the shop...a corner is good and one that there's less likely chance of it getting smacked with a piece of lumber.
    I have two corners of the garage that would probably work good, one facing the back wall & the other facing the overhead door.
    The owner's manual states to mount it on the coldest wall/corner. In my case that would probably be the overhead door side since there's a little bit of a draft near the top of the door. My concern with the corner near the overhead door is that it may actually pull cold air in from the door?

Pulling cold are to be heated up wouldn't be a terrible thing I suspect. Near the overhead door also means it's less likely to interfere with other things you'll do in the shop since the door structure is already a barrier for those same kinds of things. Consider getting the door adjusted, however, so it properly seals. You may actually need a new seal and those are easy to come by.
    --

Pulling cold are to be heated up wouldn't be a terrible thing I suspect.
    Yeah, it probably would even help regulate the ambient air temperature up near the heater which the internal thermal sensor reads.
    According to several reviews I've read, the heater's internally mounted thermal sensor creates a false reading resulting in having to set the thermostat 8~10 degrees higher than the shop's temp.

Being that I'm not really sure how much heat this heater actually puts out, I decided to mount it on my back wall above my toolboxes. It's out of the way there & I can run a temporary power cord from the heater to my 30-amp air compressor line. This way I can get a better idea of how far the heat is dispersed from the heater. If it works out good there, I'll run a dedicated line for it.

Consider getting the door adjusted, however, so it properly seals.
    I'm probably going to have someone come out & double check my garage door springs anyway since I'm planning to add some better insulation to the door. The door is already insulated from the factory, but there's still about a 1" area that I plan to add some foam insulation to.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Walls View Post
    According to several reviews I've read, the heater's internally mounted thermal sensor creates a false reading resulting in having to set the thermostat 8~10 degrees higher than the shop's temp.
    I've got a 40A electric heater similar to the one you just got in my shop. I had to install a small barn fan behind it to move enough air through the shop to make it useful - otherwise, as you said, it would just raise the temperature in it's corner until it was above the thermostat setting and turn off. The built in fan turned off when the element did, so it would just sit there until the temperature in the unit dropped low enough to restart it. It ended up with about a 10% duty cycle as a result. If I jacked the thermostat up to compensate, the whole unit overheated and shut down. The barn fan makes it work wonderfully, though. Heats the shop right up.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    I've got a 40A electric heater similar to the one you just got in my shop. I had to install a small barn fan behind it to move enough air through the shop to make it useful.
    Yeah, I've seen several You-Tube videos showing the same type of set-up with a small fan helping to regulate the temperature that the thermal sensor sees. The problem seems to be a combination of the thermal sensor being mounted inside the housing near the heat source, and the fact that these heaters are usually mounted to the ceiling where heat rises.

Heat Storm is aware of this issue & on their newest model (only available through their website) they have included a wireless remote thermostat. Unfortunately, the thermostat only works with the new model at $330 https://heatstorm.com/collections/ga...enabled-heater

Amazon & e-bay are selling the older style units for under $200, which is why I bought one.
    The one I just got was made on 3 of 2023 so not old, just an older model.

At about the 3-minute mark in this You-Tube video

the guy shows how he just moved the thermostat/sensor to the outside of the housing which he said helped with the short cycling issue.

I have an electric mounted on one wall. It takes the chill off but I do not consider it fully conditioned space. Which means the thermostat rarely cycles since it simply can not get the entire space up to set temp. Note I ONLY run it when I am in the shop - I do not leave it to cycle automatically. (also I do not want the $$ bill if I were to keep it at temp all the time, as noted resistive heat is not the most efficient)

Also I have an overhead air filter. When that is running it circulates air through the shop and makes it more uniform. However, at the same time it increases convection heat loss to the walls - especially the garage door which is my insulation weak link. Which makes me indecisive whether I run the air cleaner to get circulation, or leave it off to reduce heat loss. I do not have any measurements to know.

Doug, see if you can put a remote thermostat on it...the Farenheat I used at the old shop prior to the minisplit allowed for that.
    --