Thread: Black walnut bowl

Black walnut bowl

I made this bowl a few years ago. I put it on a commercial plate holder, and I never liked it.

_MG_4727.jpg

A year ago, I made a new plate holder out of black walnut, and for me, it worked much better that the original. By the way the crack happened when the wood was drying, and I turned it with the crack. A bit nerve wracking but it worked. I entered it as the 3rd of three pieces (meaning I didn't get the planned 3rd piece finished in time) in a local arts council show. It was the only one of my 3 pieces chosen for the exhibit. Out of over 300 entries from around the country, it got an honorable mention (4th place). Alas, always a bride's maid, never a bride. I just entered 3 pieces in this years show yesterday. I guess I'll see what happens. Anyway, here is the piece with a new plate holder.

All it's Cracked up to Be sm.jpg

As always, any critique is welcome.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Like those swirling colors .

Blog Entries
    Very pretty! I love the dream catcher motif.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Great grain pattern. I like the rawhide stitching and agree that the second stand is an improvement.

Brian, I like the simplicity of the holder. Tell me (us?) more about the plate holder please. Did you cut a groove somehow in the piece of wood? Is it two pieces sandwiched on some sort of spacer? This inquiring mind wants to know so I can borrow your idea :-). The plate/bowl is quite beautiful too!

Thanks in advance