Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A General purpose bench grinder?

A General purpose bench grinder?

I don't have a lathe and I no longer cut the grass, so I don't really need to sharpen anything.
    It would be nice to have a bench grinder that I could stick a wire wheel or polishing wheel on if I needed one.

What should I look for?
    Variable speed?
    6" or 8"?

Wen, Baur (Harbor Freight), DeWalt all have similar models - except the DeWalt is a single speed and the reviews of it are pretty bad on the DeWalt site.

I'd like to stay under $150.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

In this particular case, 150 bucks will get you a much better device off the used market.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I don't have a lathe and I no longer cut the grass, so I don't really need to sharpen anything.
    It would be nice to have a bench grinder that I could stick a wire wheel or polishing wheel on if I needed one.

What should I look for?
    Variable speed?
    6" or 8"?

Wen, Baur (Harbor Freight), DeWalt all have similar models - except the DeWalt is a single speed and the reviews of it are pretty bad on the DeWalt site.

I'd like to stay under $150.

I got this not long ago & like it. Slow speed is better for wire wheel, and for many grinding tasks.

It supplements a Dayton one, which is excellent but costs much more.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Blog Entries
    Pickup a used baldor.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Wire wheel, strongly advise a face shield and apron. I have pick pieces of the wire wheel out of my apron. And out of my skin, piece of wire seems to screw into skin.
    Like Cameron saying a slower rpm

I have this 8” one and like it a lot. It’s made by Rikon for Menards.
    https://www.menards.com/main/p-1444452322107.htm

Pick up a used grinder at the flea market. I have an old stanley that works fine. They stopped making that model in 1932. If the original capacitor fails I will have to adapt a round one.
    BilLD

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    I have this 8” one and like it a lot. It’s made by Rikon for Menards.
    https://www.menards.com/main/p-1444452322107.htm
    That looks like a winner!
    I'll keep my eye out for a sale on that one.
    Menards runs a lot of really good sales on their private brand stuff - like Masterforce.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

That looks good, but keep in mind that an 8" wheel has about 1/3 faster surface speed at the same RPM as a 6" one,
    so even the slow speed is not that slow.

Can't go wrong with either a vintage Rockwell or Baldor grinder, they beat the cheap junk out China every time. Picked up a Baldor built JC Penney 6" for $40.

3450 RPM ... 1725 RPM ...

And the oddball 1140 ... for single phase. There's one floating around somewhere in my Dad's collection of GrandDad's stuff. Pretty convenient if you've got nothing but 2P AC.

VFD ?????

The "SECOND COMING" ..

LOL !!!!!

They run about $30 off of Craigslist in my neck of the woods
    Regards,

Tom

The slower the better for grinding tools w/o coolant imo. An 8" grinder will allow grinding long blades more easily as the wheels are larger than the bell, rarely seen on a 6" unit (there are some slimline Baldor and Milwaukee units). Variable speed controls, especially on cheap grinders, will probably crap out eventually and be hard to fix. An extra $100-200 for a cbn wheel will pay off, even if it pains you to spend more than on the grinder. I have an oddball 1140 rpm 6" from Garrett Wade, never seen since, but I love the control it gives and it cuts plenty fast for me.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 01-23-2024 at 5:20 AM.

Seems to me that for what his intended use is, pretty well any old thing would do just fine.

I have a couple of old Craftsman grinders, one is about 40 years old and one is probably 60 -70 years old that belonged to my Father.. Both are still going strong. However, when I needed a separate grinder for my sharpening station, I picked up a Rikon and have been quite pleased with it.