Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A General purpose bench grinder?

My go to bench grinder is a Lowes $19.99 special that I picked up over forty years ago ( Taiwan special, 6", 3450 RPM.) Wheels have been replaced a couple times. Still on original bearings, but I keep a box of 6203's in my tool box, just in case. Somewhere in back of shop, I have a Skill from the era when Skill represented quality. Paid $25 for last grinder off CL, just to use with fiber wheels for sharpening knives. It's a Delta from Taiwan.

AFAIK the only difference between grinders is the dust/spark containment collection and the tool rest. How will you collect off a wheel throwing bits of wire?
    BilL D.

Honestly, for what you're looking to do, any old grinder should get the job done. But agree with the others, fle markets are a goldmine for grinders.

I think it’s now much easier to buy a grinder. So many of the older ones were sold with extremely hard wheels. Impossible to wear
    those out. And difficult to not over heat the tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Honestly, for what you're looking to do, any old grinder should get the job done. But agree with the others, fle markets are a goldmine for grinders.
    For about $60, you can get a bench grinder from Harbor Freight.

I would not like to spin a wire wheel at 3400 rpm.

Blog Entries
    I have an 8" Delta bench grinder that has served me well. Also have a 6" Baldor with extended shafts that runs at half the speed of the grinder.

Shop2020 2 (2).jpg
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 02-02-2024 at 8:06 AM.
    NOW you tell me...