Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Full sheet slider... space required?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post

Joe Calhoon is primarily a doormaker and he seems to use a full-size panel saw for a great deal of his work. Of course he also has a smaller Martin T17 on the floor, so it might be worth asking his advice on the subject.
    Kevin, My 10' slider does not get used much to the full capacity in solid wood for millwork, doors and windows. I built a kitchen for myself a while back but dont anticipate using much in the way of sheet goods in semi retirement. When I bought the saw 24 years ago we were doing a lot of case work. I have a SLR for ripping. If I did not have that i would be using the larger capacity of the T72 for that. Very safe for ripping using the F&F with rubber edging. see photos. I also use this saw a lot with the MiterX double miter. It turns a large format slider into a bench saw with a accurate adjustable sled. My short stroke Martin T 17 gets used mostly for accurate crosscuts, dados, shaper cutter setups and general joinery. I could actually get by with that for most solid wood work. I keep a cross cut blade in that most of the time and a combo blade in the big slider. most crosscuts in door joinery are fine with the combo. I think I would find the short stroke slider frustrating to use for sheet goods. I would probably use it in combination with the track saw if I had to do that. Funny thing everyone says ripping on a full format slider is awkward. Once I was used to it I like it. I can rip like a conventional TS in the T17 and that feels very weird and dangerous now. The big thing with the large slider is you are away from the path of the blade and using F&F correctly your hands are nowhere near the blade.
    In my work If I were in a tight floor space I could get by nicely with a in between 6' or so slider.

slider rip 1.jpg
    Slider rip 2.jpg

Joe, I have a MiterX double miter fence on the way and can’t wait for it to arrive. Been using a modified incra miter gauge for the last couple years, but look forward to the upgrade. I think old habits die hard. I have spent so many years on job sites ripping material against a fence that I still gravitate to the T17 for ripping. I’d like to make the switch to ripping on the slider as you do, but think it might take an accurate parallel stop on the rear end of my sliding table to get me in the habit. I bet you’ve got all kinds of tricks up your sleeve that would change how I work though!

You will like the MiterX John!
    Parallel stop is for sure more accurate and I use it a lot for length ways miters. Takes a bit of setup though. Using the fence as a bump stop with F&F not quite as accurate because of fence lead out but for me I go through the planer on edge for final sizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Rice View Post
    I have full size slider in my 24' x 24' hobby shop, love being able to rip full 8' on the slider.
    Any chance you can post a picture of that setup?

IMG_2505.jpgIMG_2501.jpgIMG_1724.jpgIMG_1725.jpg
    I have a 2800mm slider which allows me to rip 8’ using my Airtight clamps.
    Last edited by Pat Rice; 01-27-2024 at 7:09 AM.

Determining space requirements for a full-size panel saw involves considering the sheet cut length times two for the length. It's great that you have 3-phase power for optimal functionality.

Blog Entries
    You have enough room there for a 10’ slider. Take my advice: get the 10’ versus the 8’ slider. Most rough lumber is sold in 10’ or longer lengths. I use the slider all the time to straighten edges on rough lumber. I wish I had a 12’!!! Get the biggest sliding table you can afford.

Pat, the shop is looking good. Very lean and organized.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    You will like the MiterX John!
    Parallel stop is for sure more accurate and I use it a lot for length ways miters. Takes a bit of setup though. Using the fence as a bump stop with F&F not quite as accurate because of fence lead out but for me I go through the planer on edge for final sizing.
    I’m waiting very impatiently for the MiterX to arrive! Looking forward just as much if not more to the upcoming door workshop. I imagine it will be an eye opening experience