Thread: Redwing vs Danner work boots

Redwing vs Danner work boots

So, over a year ago I needed to buy new work boots. Looked over a lot of different options and ended up selecting the Redwing Truwelt:

https://www.redwingshoes.com/work/me...elt-04499.html

IMG_1067.jpg

When looking at Redwing boots, there where a lot of conflicting reviews. Many people who tried certain boots gave a poor review indicating that these boots did not last as long as they should. I did notice that most of these negative reviews were on the "Mid-Duty" line of Redwing boots. Most people will probably be just fine with these, but if you're in an industry that is very hard on boots, the Mid-Duty may not work out. These Truwelt boots are in the Heavy Duty line. Apparently, they were not available for several years.

The main reasons I bought these were:
    - Waterproof
    - Steel toe
    - Metatarsal Guard
    - Height

After trying on some lower profile boots, I determined I liked the taller boots. My old boots are 9" Harley Davidson motorcycle boots (which have held up amazingly well for 20 years).

That being said, after about 8 months of using them, there were a couple things that became a challenge:

- Boots did not have as much ankle support as I would wish
    - The Redwing boots are very much larger in physical size than normal
    - While the laces are fine, I missed having the ability to just slip on and zip up the boot like my Harley Davidson's.

Don't get me wrong. These boots are excellent in build quality and are pretty much like feet armor if you are working on a concrete floor with heavy material. However, I never felt comfortable with using a ladder. I would actually trip walking up normal house stairs because the boot was so HUGE in comparison to the Harley Davidson.

So, I went looking for a second set of boots....

So, the secondary boots had this set of requirements:

- Waterproof
    - Zip up side
    - Good ankle support
    - Smaller and more nimble than the Redwing

It turned out to be really difficult to find a GOOD quality side-zip boot. The Redwing boots do have a couple of options, but after visiting the store, they were still overly huge in physical size. All of the Redwing boots are built like that.

Ultimately, I found that Danner had some options. I did try one other boot that will be in the following post, but I decided on the 8" Danner Striker Bolt. I did try the shorter 6" Striker Bolt, but I didn't like how the top of the boot cut into my shin.

https://www.danner.com/men/tactical/...black-gtx.html

IMG_1068.jpg

These turned out to be everything else I needed. Excellent ankle support and good comfort overall. The following picture shows a size difference between my three boots - all size 11. The good old Harley Davidson is still kicking around, but I only use it for stuff like spraying stain on fences where I don't want to ruin my new boots. The Harley were never super comfortable and felt like standing on concrete after a while, but they had excellent ankle support.

IMG_1071.jpg

So I use the Redwing when I'm handling heavy stuff like 40 lbs of steel, but I will use the Danner for most everything else. The Redwing are just too cumbersome for when I'm climbing ladders, up in a tree, or standing on rafters in my attic. Both Redwing and Danner ended up being excellent boots.

One thing about the zipper-side on the Danner is that some people have complaints that the zipper breaks. These are relatively small tooth YKK zippers (which most everybody uses nowadays). These people are likely just yanking up the zipper and expecting it to hold. What you need to do is hold the sides of the boot together while pulling up the zipper with mild pressure. Once zipped, it is totally fine.

The one last boot I tried before going with the 8" Striker Bolt is the 8" Danner Instinct Tactical:

https://www.danner.com/men/all-footw...anner-dry.html

Danner_Instinct_Tactical.jpg
    (not my picture - I did not keep any of my own when trying).

The boots were very good, but they did not have much of ankle support due to the construction. There is a leather toe and a leather wrap around the back of the heel, but the rest of the boot is made from nylon cloth. It was strange. When walking around in these boots, it almost felt like I was wearing nothing. The nylon section between the front and back allows for a lot of flexibility. The upper section above the heel is also completely nylon. Very comfortable, but ultimately, I needed something more heavy duty with ankle support.

Jim Becker - hopefully you're reading this. I know you have a hard time with boots, but this boot design might be something you could try if you wanted a shoe with better protection.
    Last edited by Aaron Inami; 01-21-2024 at 6:16 PM.

Pretty much all Redwing here for many years.

The Danner ones seem like way too much money for molded-on soles...

IMG_4725.jpeg

FYI a good leather shop can add zippers to any boot.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    I clicked here to shout out for YaxTrax as well. I alway liked Red Wings but now wear Keens.

I have a long boring story about who is going to win the steer penning event at the state fair. Its never the flashy cowboys with snake skin boots and $300.00 hats. It is the grandpas in Pioneer Seed caps and Red Wing boots that always win. They also never whoop, holler, or gallop. They calmly mosey around and win by a large margin.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I wore the Redwings for a lot of years at work. Safety toe was mandatory but not metatarsal. I liked them because they had a larger toe box and they were easier on my toes and socks. I did like Cameron and painted the toes withe the scuff protection.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I have been happy with Chippewa un-insulated boots. I think the models are Paladin and Baldor. They make many different styles / types, however, no zippers to my knowledge.

PCG
    Last edited by Philip Glover; 01-22-2024 at 8:27 AM. Reason: missing word

I only got a year out of a pair of redwings for about 8 pairs in a row. I switched to Danner and they were more comfortable and got 3 years out of the first pair, Left the field and I still have them for 8 years now. Only where them 5-10 times a year now since leaving the field.

Blog Entries
    I don't think I have ever had Danners. I have wanted to try them but have not found my size. I do always get steel toes, so life can go on after the toe leather wears out. I finally learned to look for boots with rubber toe caps.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 01-22-2024 at 10:16 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

When I was working I had Redwing steel toe and had them put on the toe protectors as I was kneeling alot when I installed the store fixture and cabinets.

Danner Power Foreman in winter and Danner Bull Run the rest of the year. Best boots I've ever worn. Best service on boot repair also.

Blog Entries
    Hard work and insisting on quality shoes were approved of unanimously in the last boot thread.
    Red Wing and Danner both certainly qualify. I may have posted this last time. Is still holds true.

Best Regards, Maurice