Thread: 3D scanning possible CNc files

3D scanning possible CNc files

thought I would demo scanning for 3D , its gotten easier and better since I first started in 2020
    software is better actually becoming useable

https://stankern.vids.io/videos/ac90...5/bowl-3d-scan

https://stankern.vids.io/videos/ea90...m-bust-3d-scan

https://stankern.vids.io/videos/4490...porcelain-mask
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    It is always enjoyable to see your posts Mr. Kern!
    Best Regards, Maurice

thanks a lot i enjoy all these tech things that are now available to small business people or hobby type people
    a good example is cnc and lasers

Nice videos Stan! What software and scanner are you using, where did you buy them, and what is the cost?
    Thanks,
    David

http://www.ibild.com/

Check out this link to iBuild which is Brady Watson's web site for his scanning business. Brady is a friend of mine, a member of SawMill Creek, and his work is very impressive. Brady has designed his own commercial scanner that he has used for a very long list of commercial customers. I visited his shop in New Jersey a couple of years ago. I didn't understand much about what I saw, it was way over my head but I enjoyed the tour.

Years ago I contacted Brady to do a very high end project machining a one inch thick six foot diameter Naval Brass ring for the library at Christopher Newport University, the project was perfect for someone with Brady's talent and experience. We have both attended the annual Aspire gathering in South Carolina many times which is how we met, Brady was a speaker at this gathering for several years.

Blog Entries
    Bradly Watsons operation is indeed very impressive. I will pass his info along to the mandolin factory and the Model T club. Are there copyright and ownership issues regarding the digital property that is created?
    Best Regards, Maurice

I have 2 scanners archer (colour) and fisher both have good specs but there are so many variables and it was hard to get on to them
    but each year the scanner software gets better , and faster and better results
    Both scanners are 2020 and 2021
    one point though you need a very high end computer as when the scanner is crunching the image data, you can see it on the
    computer speed of processing (check computer performance)
    I am using an Asus icore 9 -32 gb ram and its good , I have to wait on it but only for a very quick amount of time especially when you edit the files
    I use the scanner software to do the best scan I can get ,then I use a 3d software to handle the edit or fills where the scanner did not pick up
    The scanners can scan large objects like a motorcycle size or car door etc
    I got into these because of the 3d printer I have and to assist creating the files to print and of course files for the cnc
    its a whole new thing when you scan 3D , a lot of time
    Last edited by stan kern; 01-23-2024 at 9:25 AM.

Keith
    I checked out the site ,(ibuild) excellent I could easily learn a thing or 2 from him
    good scans take practice and a lot of computer work

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Bradly Watsons operation is indeed very impressive. I will pass his info along to the mandolin factory and the Model T club. Are there copyright and ownership issues regarding the digital property that is created?
    If someone is converting your design or project to a digital format and the copyright belongs to you I expect that you continue to own the copyright. If your mission is to reproduce parts for an old car where the copyright has expired I don't see a problem but you could discuss this with Brady as I'm sure he has a considerable amount of experience concerning what he is allowed to scan and reproduce.

Brady has designed and built a custom scanning booth. He doesn't share any information about his cabinet publicly but I am pretty sure it is capable of scanning very large projects. Once you provide the details of your project he will let you know whether he can scan it or not. His web site says that if you can ship it he can scan it.

Blog Entries
    Thank you Mr. Outten.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Brady helped my out with a collaborative project I did with another 'Creeker a few years ago and is absolutely the go-to for complicated or critical 3D scanning that even with advances in commercially available consumer scanners is not possible to do by one's self.

Stan, it's really nice to see that the gear available on the market has gotten so much better, too, since that makes the capability available to more folks.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...