Thread: Jet 1236 hand crank

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.

Jet 1236 hand crank

IMG_7706.jpgIMG_7705.jpg
    One of my student's Jet 1236 lathe is missing this wheel that mounts on the lefthand end of the headstock. It has a lefthand thread and a hole for locking the shaft. I'll be doggoned if I can find it on any parts diagram or supplier. I'd call it a hand crank but I guess it might be known as something else. Anyone have a part number or a source for these?

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Try "hand wheel" or "handwheel". Check McMaster-Carr for an assortment. hand wheels | McMaster-Carr

If you cannot find one to fit that should not be too difficult to make. A left handed bolt with the proper thread and some hard wood is all it would take.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    ... that should not be too difficult to make. .
    Agreed. That option always looms.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Probably simple enough to make your own but there are a number of them on the web: https://www.ereplacementparts.com/ha...-p-757535.html
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Check eReplacementParts, they seem to have something that matches your description. But if you can't find an exact match, making your own should do the trick.

Grizzly would be where I go. All the variations of that lathe were made in the same factory. Trouble is, that everyone is discontinuing that model so parts will be a real issue with the reeves drive especially.

I started on a Jet 1236, but it’s been a number of years since I turned on it. With that hand wheel installed, you won’t be able to use a knock-out bar through the headstock when needed, IIRC.

Would need a hole through it. I'd find not being able to use the knock-out bar with no hassle a lot more useful than the handwheel. My General has been running for some time now without it's wheel since I took it off to put my vacuum adapter on and I can't say it is much of an issue. (The General's wheel threads on the outside of the spindle so the knockout can be used with it on or off.)