Thread: Gio Ponti Desk construction detail

Gio Ponti Desk construction detail

I've been commissioned to build a reproduction of a Gio Ponti desk. I'm attempting to match the detail of the edge moulding + veneer. My best guess from studying the images is that a hardwood moulding was applied before the veneer was applied.

I'm thinking about hammer veneering these sides after the desk is constructed. Is there a better way to skin this cat?

Anyone have an alternative idea?

I'm really trying to avoid simply applying the moulding like a simple edge banding which I don't think would look very elegant.

Thank you.

Brant

Screenshot 2023-11-14 at 3.30.53 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 5.15.31 PM.jpg

I would band the panel and then veneer it in a vacuum press, but hammer veneering would accomplish the same thing. In looking at your linked photos it appears that there is a concave moulding on the panel edges surrounding the drawers that is hand-shaped and transitions to a square edge where it meets the brass sabot feet. Very tricky. On the opposite face it appears that the edges are square and veneered around the curve. Have fun.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 01-24-2024 at 9:24 PM.

It definitely looks like the panels were edged with solid wood first and then veneered. That's the only way to get that uninterrupted grain of the veneer from edge to edge. The mitered joint in your second photo is very similar to how I did them on this little desk.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    I would band the panel and then veneer it in a vacuum press, but hammer veneering would accomplish the same thing. In looking at your linked photos it appears that there is a concave moulding on the panel edges surrounding the drawers that is hand-shaped and transitions to a square edge where it meets the brass sabot feet. Very tricky. On the opposite face it appears that the edges are square and veneered around the curve. Have fun.

Yeah, there are a few really tricky design/construction moments that will make or break this piece. The concave moulding is actually tapered so that the back edge of the desk appears to be leaning forward. Lovely detail that is hard to catch in the photos.

Will keep the thread updated.

thank you