Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SawStop PCS dust collection

SawStop PCS dust collection

I have a SawStop PCS with a modified 2 stage HF dust collector (Dusty Deputy & Winn Filter), I just ordered the larger Wen 12” impeller fan and will be making that upgrade as soon as it arrives. The dust collection at the table saw is OK but not as good as I would like. The increase in CFMs from the larger impeller will help but I was wondering if drilling some holes in the table saw throat insert plate will help with dust collection when making cuts at the ends of boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux View Post
    I have a SawStop PCS with a modified 2 stage HF dust collector (Dusty Deputy & Winn Filter), I just ordered the larger Wen 12” impeller fan and will be making that upgrade as soon as it arrives. The dust collection at the table saw is OK but not as good as I would like. The increase in CFMs from the larger impeller will help but I was wondering if drilling some holes in the table saw throat insert plate will help with dust collection when making cuts at the ends of boards.
    I'm actually working on a design just like that on my CNC for my custom sawstop throat plate design. I do believe it will help for thin rips where the hole(s) is/are exposed.

Having said that, when possible I use the blade guard and the 2.5" hose attached to my festool ct-36 with 36mm hose and it gets 99% of the dust as long as it isn't thin rips.

I would love to see your design when finished

Blog Entries
    I work with one for 7 years. It ain’t a perfect DC system,.

I also have a PCS and use a HF 2hp blower/motor with it. Mine discharges outside after most of the debris drops into a large container separated by a super dust deputy. My DC keeps the saw cavity from filling up but I still have dust on top of the saw especially when the blade is not buried in the wood. I've tried adding an overarm suction point but it did not do much with the non-buried blade situation. I saw a video by somebody who added another port to a cone with a magnet on it he tried to get in the path of the dust from the exposed blade. Seemed to help some but my plan is to just let the DC get the dust inside the saw and to sweep up occasionally for what comes out on top.

I have a new sawstop and the dust collection is not as good as the previous saw, a craftsman cabinet base unit. Same dust collection system, the sawstop has an internal hose inside the cabinet that is for the downdraft from the blade and craftsman was open inside down to the exist port. I don't keep the blade guard on often, I like see where the blade is and the cutting operation. I wind up with more sawdust on the table top and in front of the machine that I did with the craftsman. I think the insert is very tight to the table and blade and cuts down on the downdraft, so adding holes would make a difference.

I keep a handheld broom handy for the top and sweep the floor periodically. Not to much a pain in the ___. I really don't want the overhead dust collection.

Thanks. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux View Post
    I just ordered the larger Wen 12” impeller fan and will be making that upgrade as soon as it arrives.
    A 12" impeller is not big enough for effective dust collection.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Why??????……….

People have different results with the Sawstop PCS dust collection. Mine works very well but I am running a 5 hp Oneida Super Gorilla with 15" impeller. There is no comparison to the HF with a 12" impeller. I often will attach a shop vac to the over blade guard for dust collection. No, it is not perfect but does a heck of a job.

Blog Entries
    Depends what and how fast your cutting. I’ve cleaned out a Sawstop many of times

I have an ICS and 5HP Oneida collector. Still, if I look, there's some sawdust in the cabinet. I also have a wye with a 4" hose to the over blade guard, and added a skirt to that. That helps a lot, albeit limits visibility a little.

What I find works well, is periodically I'll turn on the dust collector to the saw and shoot compressed air into the cavity from above. That dislodges a lot of the sawdust that immediately gets picked up by the dust collector.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I have a PCS with a 3HP Laguna which has a 15.5 impeller and it does a decent job of getting a lot of dust, especially if I have the blade guard which is tied into the dust collector also. But it doesn't get everything all the time, depending on the cut. I am not sure if drilling holes will help because the dust is usually within the narrow slice of the blade.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    its better that the existing 10" one

I find the PCS to offer good DC. Not perfect but the blade guard does a good job, again, IMO. I connect mine to the DC via a hose from my old Fein vac running to the intake on the G700. It has the 6x4x4 wye and the 4x2 reducer. I run the 4” blue flex line to the DC port at the base of the saw. Thin rips are the problem. I’ve had some success clamping a piece close to the blade guard. It contains some of the “spit” coming off the blade and seems to allow the blade guard port to pick up more, but don’t bother unless I have to do a run of it. I’ve also run a 4” hose to the side of the blade guard but extra gear on the table becomes a distraction so I gave up on that. I do run the JDS 2000 for the ambient air filtration as well.

Yea, not sure if I'm special or what, but the inside of my saw has little to no measurable dust. I looked last night for the first time in probably almost a year and I couldn't get more than an entire handful...to me that's so close to zero that it isn't even worth mentioning. I have an Oneida Supercell with 4" dust port. Not sure if that matters, but that's the setup.

From the original post, the only time dust is an issue is when I don't bother to use the blade guard, which I generally try to use when possible or when doing rips where the blade isn't pinched between two pieces of wood. The latter I'm going to try and address with a modification to my own designed zero-clearance insert.

I will report back when I have some data.