Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: All table saws to be SawStops?

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I agree Mike, I have a four function saw fence also and love it…….Regards, Rod
    Very Super Cool Tools sells a T-square fence that uses an aluminum extrusion. I have one and use it almost exclusively in the low position.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Fenneuff View Post
    Very Super Cool Tools sells a T-square fence that uses an aluminum extrusion. I have one and use it almost exclusively in the low position.
    That's good to know, I'll have to check it out. There have been a few people that have used my fence that have been disappointed to know they're discontinued.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I developed an anti-kickback system for table saws a few years back. Incorporated it into a small shop-made tablesaw to demonstrate the concept. After several design iterations and refining I had it working. The system can be adapted to any saw with electronic dynamic blade brake. The Saw Stop table saw or the newer table saws would not need much to incorporate the system. I too feel that kickback is as much a problem as "fingers in the blade". Having experienced kickback, I was determined to understand it and find a solution. I have a video of the AKS (anti-kickback system) in operation with high density foam as the material being sawn. The test bed shop-made saw allows me to turn the AKS system off and on for proof of concept. The "brake" light shows when the AKS system is triggered.

https://youtu.be/oHlJNb86gLM?si=1ug-j4UHAPV73NBw
    Norman Pirollo Furniture Maker + Educator

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Pirollo View Post
    I developed an anti-kickback system for table saws a few years back. Incorporated it into a small shop-made tablesaw to demonstrate the concept. After several design iterations and refining I had it working. The system can be adapted to any saw with electronic dynamic blade brake. The Saw Stop table saw or the newer table saws would not need much to incorporate the system. I too feel that kickback is as much a problem as "fingers in the blade". Having experienced kickback, I was determined to understand it and find a solution. I have a video of the AKS (anti-kickback system) in operation with high density foam as the material being sawn. The test bed shop-made saw allows me to turn the AKS system off and on for proof of concept. The "brake" light shows when the AKS system is triggered.

https://youtu.be/oHlJNb86gLM?si=1ug-j4UHAPV73NBw
    How is a potential kickback detected?

MIke
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    How is a potential kickback detected?

MIke
    The AKS system is proprietary at the moment..

Norman

looks like a saw that loads up and shuts off when the load increases. how would I get any work done? I used to stall 3 HP saws at times ramming rough solid wood through. We were taught to joint an edge before rough ripping but in use over the years enough times I skipped the step. Tension release alone on rough ripping will load up a saw, at least me not running a riving knife which would help on the pinching.

A saw loading up ripping is not a kick back, its a saw loading up. You have lots of warning. I stalled pushing too much but 99 percent of the time just lifted off and back in. Nothing to do with material into the heal of the blade. You see many people are afraid of their saw. Me stalling my saw while a moron way from pushing things its still not coming back at me, im telling that saw that. I doubt the 9 HP saw would let me do that.

there are so many ignorant people on table saws.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    looks like a saw that loads up and shuts off when the load increases. how would I get any work done? I used to stall 3 HP saws at times ramming rough solid wood through. We were taught to joint an edge before rough ripping but in use over the years enough times I skipped the step. Tension release alone on rough ripping will load up a saw, at least me not running a riving knife which would help on the pinching.

A saw loading up ripping is not a kick back, its a saw loading up. You have lots of warning. I stalled pushing too much but 99 percent of the time just lifted off and back in. Nothing to do with material into the heal of the blade. You see many people are afraid of their saw. Me stalling my saw while a moron way from pushing things its still not coming back at me, im telling that saw that. I doubt the 9 HP saw would let me do that.

there are so many ignorant people on table saws.
    Not how this AKS works. Nothing to do with loading up the saw, the slowing motor is just the result of a small motor to demonstrate how it works.. It works on a different premise. I agree, I wouldn't want the saw to stop while I was ripping, although I've seen this is underpowered saws.. The AKS detects kickback exclusively. The saw blade runs at it's normal full speed and is dynamically braked only when AKS is detected. There is no intermediary slowing of the blade.. full on or full off.
    Last edited by Norman Pirollo; 02-21-2024 at 2:03 PM.

thanks for explaining. Not a thing for me but like saw stop ive said enough times to people it would be good for them.

If I had an employee id want a saw stop to not worry. That was even before a friend told me he came into work and blood was all over, even the ceiling. I would not want to live with that scenario. If I had ever hired any of the old guys I was good friends with id not have a concern to see the same bare blade I saw for 30 years in their shops. Why is it that working sometimes extreme hours and pressure they all had their fingers.

Put your material at the back of the blade. Put it into the heal of the blade and see what it does. My first kick back knocked me to the floor and could have left me with a soprano voice. It came from the heal of the blade not the front. Material loading up in rip situation I would not call a kick back its a saw loading up. Reality many of saws people use here are toys and you can stall them. Ridgid this or that whatever. Ive used carpenter saws on site before and not want to work on any of them. Work is work its not being limited by a tiny light weight machine in feeding.

We are kind of the past the kick back thing in some ways, riving knife we would not be having this conversation,. Ive worked without one forever then had one for the last job. I felt like I was cheating and it was too easy but its good to have help when it doesnt interfere. It brings a bit of a sense of security, I dont need it but I get it and its a positive thing so ill dabble more for sure.

Blog Entries
    There is no false of security with a Sawstop.. I don’t know where people came up with that..

I used a Sawstop for 7 years and never once had a “false “ sense of security., I knew two things operating it. The saw was black and the blade was sharp..
    Last edited by jack duren; 02-21-2024 at 2:55 PM.

if you mean me the security would be for me if I had an employee, that was what I was trying to say.

I dont need to worry about more people, my hair is white already.

The old guys I would not worry about.

Here is an example 1 of 100's. Content creator. Not sure if they are content or not but I dont get content watching them. Sure i come off as a know it all but im old enough to know no one does. Its easy to criticize someone else Same would be for me for lack of safety stuff.

Hmmm.JPG

The yellow thing signals no feel to me. We never had it, its not needed. Boards are different widths in the real work and and. He thinks hes smart standing out of the line of fire hes standing 45 degrees to what is is doing when he should be behind the saw maybe not directly, you try and stay left and that depends on material width and feeding. His push stick sucks. Many use that style never tried it but his hand is too close once getting beside or past the blade, his left is in a stupid position. Behind the blade and no riving knife and something happens he will in the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    There is no false of security with a Sawstop.. I don’t know where people came up with that..

I used a Sawstop for 7 years and never once had a “false “ sense of security., I knew two things operating it. The saw was black and the blade was sharp..
    Maybe not for you but for other's there most certainly is. Just watch those who use one and are fast and loose with their safety regime.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Maybe not for you but for other's there most certainly is. Just watch those who use one and are fast and loose with their safety regime.
    Nonsense, pure and simple. Stop making generalizations about people that own a particular type of saw. It says more about you than anyone else. Sorry, but this kind of generalization is just too much.

The same can be said for the majority of us who drive. Do we drive like an idiot because we have an airbag, crumple zones and seatbelt? Or we you drive like an idiot because, well, we're an idiot? Most of us just drive, doing everything we can to be safe, never thinking about what may or may not protect us. You can't fix stupid, not even SawStop...

take some thought to answer that for me, I have two cars with no air bags, do drive them any different no. Do I drive the ones with air bags different no. I remember once years ago a lady was bumped from behind in traffic and the air bag killed her. That sucks when the safety device takes you out, has happened with self driving cars as well. Better if it had not been there in the first place for those people.

Would you object to a guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Pirollo View Post
    Not how this AKS works. Nothing to do with loading up the saw, the slowing motor is just the result of a small motor to demonstrate how it works.. It works on a different premise. I agree, I wouldn't want the saw to stop while I was ripping, although I've seen this is underpowered saws.. The AKS detects kickback exclusively. The saw blade runs at it's normal full speed and is dynamically braked only when AKS is detected. There is no intermediary slowing of the blade.. full on or full off.