Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: All table saws to be SawStops?

Jim, the problem is fairly simple to solve.

1) use a riving knife, properly adjusted so that workpieces cannot touch the rear of the blade (kickback)

2) always use a crown or overhead guard to prevent workpieces from contacting the top of the blade (kickback and finger protection)

3) when ripping solid wood use an adjustable length fence that ends just past the beginning of the blade

How many people actually follow the rules?

An active safety system enhances the above, it’s not a substitute for the above.

Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    Nonsense, pure and simple. Stop making generalizations about people that own a particular type of saw. It says more about you than anyone else. Sorry, but this kind of generalization is just too much.

The same can be said for the majority of us who drive. Do we drive like an idiot because we have an airbag, crumple zones and seatbelt? Or we you drive like an idiot because, well, we're an idiot? Most of us just drive, doing everything we can to be safe, never thinking about what may or may not protect us. You can't fix stupid, not even SawStop...
    Did you buy your car because it had those features?
    Did many people buy a Saw Stop because it has that feature?

Those who own a SS also generalize about those who don't and often get quite upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post

Those who own a SS also generalize about those who don't and often get quite upset.
    I absolutely bought my SawStop because of the brake. Didn't even consider any other brand.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I absolutely bought my SawStop because of the brake. Didn't even consider any other brand.

Mike
    As did I. And, I would think, many others.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I 100% bought my SS because it had the safety feature. I also buy my vehicles based on their safety ratings not just based on what I like, what color it is or just reliability.

My only issue was the generalizing comment, not whether or not you'd make the same decision as me. Personally I don't care if someone buys that brand or believes what it offers is of any value.

For you guys who I assume know better, that's great. You're not changing your habits because of the brake. (last line of defense)
    The YT content creator crowd, who does not know better, may look at it differently. (first line of defense)
    While not trying to sound old, you can tell if someone knows how to use tools safely or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Here is an example 1 of 100's. Content creator. Not sure if they are content or not but I dont get content watching them. Sure i come off as a know it all but im old enough to know no one does. Its easy to criticize someone else Same would be for me for lack of safety stuff.

Attachment 515825

The yellow thing signals no feel to me. We never had it, its not needed. Boards are different widths in the real work and and. He thinks hes smart standing out of the line of fire hes standing 45 degrees to what is is doing when he should be behind the saw maybe not directly, you try and stay left and that depends on material width and feeding. His push stick sucks. Many use that style never tried it but his hand is too close once getting beside or past the blade, his left is in a stupid position. Behind the blade and no riving knife and something happens he will in the blade.
    While I agree with your comment on his awkward body position and the position of his left hand is a definite no no but I see nothing wrong with his push stick or using a featherboard to force the board against the fence and if you look a little closer he does have a riving knife, it's the blade guard he is missing.

They’re not taking my PM 66 till they pry my cold finger off start button. Let this poor horse lay down

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney View Post
    They’re not taking my PM 66 till they pry my cold finger off start button. Let this poor horse lay down
    So now they're confiscating old saws? This is heading into conspiracy theory territory
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Maybe not for you but for other's there most certainly is. Just watch those who use one and are fast and loose with their safety regime.
    Being fast and loose with a safety regime is not limited to SawStop owners. The idea that SawStop owners are more likely to adopt practices which are less safe is all conjecture. The fact that it happens with content creators is correlation, not causation. SawStop is a prevalent brand among that group, so any baseline lack of safety appears to be associated even though they'd be unsafe with other saws too. There's plenty of content out there demonstrating lax safety standards, independent of whether it involves a SawStop.
    Last edited by Patrick Varley; 02-22-2024 at 5:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney View Post
    If PM made a SS equivalent, I'd switch just for the color

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Varley View Post
    Being fast and loose with a safety regime is not limited to SawStop owners. The idea that SawStop owners are more likely to adopt practices which are less safe is all conjecture. The fact that it happens with content creators is correlation, not causation. SawStop is a prevalent brand among that group, so any baseline lack of safety appears to be associated even though they'd be unsafe with other saws too. There's plenty of content out there demonstrating lax safety standards, independent of whether it involves a SawStop.
    For the last time, hopefully.
    SOME SS owners feel as if they can't get hurt because they bought a SS. With this as their default position, they often do not take the care others would.

You are right that many of the CC community use SS machines, I wonder why. Is it because they often have little, if any training of any kind using power tools, better safe than sorry I suppose.

And yes, I agree, they probably would be just as lax on safety using standard saws. This MAY be because they've not been around enough to experience anything else other than a SS.
    "you mean your saw doesn't stop automatically??" to be heard in the not too distant future.
    Repeating myself, again. Having a SS should in no way change any aspect of your working method. For some it seems it might.
    As I've stated, many of these people don't know any better, which IMO is the causation.

Blog Entries
    Does wearing a seatbelt make you drive fast? Do you think about it while you’re driving? Same with Sawstop, it’s just there..

200 hundred post later and y’all still talking about the same things. Nothing has changed. Nothing new to talk about. Yet….. still posting on the same old stuff
    Last edited by jack duren; 02-22-2024 at 7:06 PM.

For the last time, hopefully.
    SOME SS owners feel as if they can't get hurt because they bought a SS. With this as their default position, they often do not take the care others would.

You are right that many of the CC community use SS machines, I wonder why. Is it because they often have little, if any training of any kind using power tools, better safe than sorry I suppose.

And yes, I agree, they probably would be just as lax on safety using standard saws. This MAY be because they've not been around enough to experience anything else other than a SS.
    "you mean your saw doesn't stop automatically??" to be heard in the not too distant future.
    Repeating myself, again. Having a SS should in no way change any aspect of your working method. For some it seems it might.
    As I've stated, many of these people don't know any better, which IMO is the causation.
    I still don't get it. This whole line of reasoning seems to be based on supposition and assumptions. Not to mention a baked-in implication that experienced people who use saws other than SawStops inherently know better and always take appropriate safety measures, which is demonstrably false.

I've literally never heard someone with SawStop claim they can "never" get hurt. They do, however, believe that they are less likely to be significantly injured if blade contact happens. Which is accurate.

And my other counter argument would be that a novice with little knowledge of tools is unlikely to spend the money to buy a SawStop. I could just as easily suggest that people who are willing to pay a price premium for a SawStop are more safety conscious.
    Last edited by Patrick Varley; 02-22-2024 at 7:43 PM.

It should be real easy to get some real data, ask! who has the most accidents, sawstop owner's or non-sawstop owners?