Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building laminated veneered doors

Malcolm -> I have the exact same Rikon 3hp saw and really like it too, but I'm not happy with my current blade. What are you using on it that had great success with the veneer?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Levy View Post
    Malcolm -> I have the exact same Rikon 3hp saw and really like it too, but I'm not happy with my current blade. What are you using on it that had great success with the veneer?
    I was using the 3/4” wood slicer from Highland Woodworking. I must say that now that I have tried this carbide toothed blade from Bandsaws Direct, I very much like it, but it is much more costly. The Highland Woodworking one is carbon steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Good evening all:

Well, I do apologize for the delayed response. Yes, we are very busy at the shop. The doors are only a small part of a historic restoration project that we are very involved in. The Hotel Petersburg, in Petersburg, VA, is a 100+ year old building that is being renovated into a Hilton hotel. We started out fixing laminated doors that were damaged when a fire set off the sprinkler (years ago). The damage wasn't from the fire; it was from water. The veneer started to peel off. We fixed those doors, and that led to making new doors for rooms where the doors could not be fixed, or rooms where additional doors were added. We also are building the bar, and many furnishings for the project. So, let me try to answer some questions now that I am in front of a computer where it's easier to type as opposed to on the phone.

Yes- we have the Woodmaster CT Carbon Tipped blade for the new saw. It is amazing. We took the job veneering the doors knowing good and well that our 3HP Rikon Professional 14" saw was not really cut out for the job, but agreed to do the first set of doors, get paid, and then get a bigger saw. *** EDIT*** The Rikon is and AMAZING saw, and we made veneers for over 30 doors with it!!!! It bogged down a few times, but it did very well, and I have no problem recommending the Rikon 3hp saw- it's just that we have literally hundreds more veneers to make, and it's very evident veneers are going to be a regular thing for us, so we got a bigger saw, but we are keeping BOTH Rikon saws. We have a 3hp and a smaller 1.5 hp that we reserve for small curved cuts. For the new saw, we landed on the Grizzly 7.5hp 24" 3 Phase saw. It is a beast, and it is very well made. I'm very impressed with the quality of the construction. The machining of the top is perfect. All the adjustments are precise and so far the only issue is it came with the absolute worst blade I have ever seen- and I used to own a Ridgid Home Depot special. Literally the blade in that was better than the one Grizzly sent with the new saw. I immediately got a better blade- the Woodmaster CT with 2 TPI. It works beautifully, and it resaws a 12" wide piece of yellow birch with no issues.

An important note about the doors: Historic Preservation required that we kept any wood that we could keep on the doors we fixed. I would have preferred to just strip ALL the wood and replaced it, but we were required to keep any wood we could and replace only what was damaged. The rest got sanded. The doors will be stained, so the match should be fine once stained. *someone else is doing the staining, which I'm glad-because I didn't want to stain that many doors! For the NEW doors, we had to use the same construction as the old ones, which were Stave Core- which meanse the core is glued up from a bunch of small pieces of wood. Folks, I am amazed that these doors lasted as long as they did. Removing the veneers, we found huge gaps, tons of butt joins, and a lot of poor glue lines. The veneer seems to have held it all together. Although we technically aren't doing a stave core, as there are no butt joins in the glue-up, it is a glue-up with multiple pieces glued up to make the core, and then laminated with a veneer.

The veneers are 2mm thick. (*When possible, we prefer to use metric, although most contractors give dimensions in standard US Inches.) The core is 40.4mm, so veneering both sides makes them 44.5mm, or close enough to 1 3/4". The center panel on the door I showed is 1/2" plywood. I had cutters made to match the profile of the old doors, which also had 1/2" plywood center panels. The profile has a groove 1/2" deep and wide, and the panel is cut to leave a small gap all the way around for expansion.

Okay, the torrified wood I get from Northland Forrest Products in Troy, VA, but they also have a yard (*I THINK) in Pennsylvania. It's somehwere north. Look them up to verify. They don't deliver- I have to drive there to pick up. It's the most convoluted lumber stack. The heavy torrified ash and yellow birch are on the second floor of the stack, and I have to walk them down two by two. It's crazy! I literally have a bruise on my shoulder a week old from carrying wood from the top level. That said, I get to pick every board, so I get all usable wood. I did order some of the birch from another place because I needed 400 board feet, and I didn't want to lug 400 board feet two by two down stairs!!!

The torrified ash is beautiful, and we are going to be using it a lot. I did a lot of tests with different glues- epoxy, PVA, and Cascophen (resoursinol). I was pleased that they all worked fine. I was worried about how the wood would glue up since the pores are hardened in the torrification process. The process is basically this: They take the wood and kiln dry it like any other wood, but then they put it in an autoclave and suck out the oxygen. They then bring it to high temperatures that would normally burn the wood, but since they suck the oxygen out of the furnace, it doesn't burn. Instead, it cooks the sugars and lignin and hardens them and basically makes it nearly impervious to water. It is about 0.3% moisture, and it doesn't change. It doesn't move (by any amount that matters- even steel will move some), and it makes solid doors. I did a lot of research and met with some other makers who have used it longer than I and all have said it makes solid doors that don't swell (again- any amount that would matter). It takes an oil finish or a varnish or even a french polish very well. We tried them all. It darkens when finished to look similar to Peruvian Walnut, but has a little bit of a purple hue- only to my trained artist eye- I'm not saying it looks real purple, but having taken a course in color where the final exam was to match 1600 color chips- I notice these small color differences. My shop partner also said it has a bit of a purple hue to it when finished- so I guess it isn't just me, but it is very subtle.

We also tried torrified Poplar, maple, and oak. The maple and oak were just too hard to get, so they were out due to supply issues. The poplar to be honest just has that negative stigma in the woodworking world, and we thought the customer might hear "poplar" and think, "Oh, poplar is the cheap stuff." I'm sorry- but that's really a main reason we didn't use poplar. I have worked with ash a lot in boatbuilding, and so I felt confident with using it. I also wanted to play with it for other projects, so we went with the torrified ash over the other torrified options.

One thing to note: For sure without a doubt, the torrification process does make the wood a little more brittle. For example, I needed a test piece for an intricate dovetail I wanted to make, so I used a scrap of the torrified ash for practice. It blew out very easily- much more easily than the ash I used for my Roubo workbench. Also, the dust is very fine. WEAR A MASK!!!! It's really fine dust. So- yes, the brittle aspect was a concern for the doors, but you will notice that we lipped the rails and stiles on either side, so the screws for the hinges and lock hardware are going into solid yellow birch. We used cope and stick rails and stiles and added 10mm wide by 60mm tenons using the Festool D700 (the larger of the two domino machines). We also use the D500 with 5mm dominoes in the glue up process, mainly to keep them aligned when gluing. It also adds a little structure.

We used Titebond III for the interior doors. It's strong, water resistant, and it works really well for veneering in the vacuum bag. WE have a 4'x8' vacuum bag. For the exterior doors we are now making, we are using epoxy just as overkill since these doors get all the weather, and literally every person coming in or out of the hotel will use one of the four sets of double entry doors, so we want them extra strong. We tried Resourcinol, which I have used extensively, but my business partner has not. I didn't care either way for epoxy versus resourcinol, although I felt resourcinol would have been easier due to forgiving mix ratios and favorable cure times. We went with epoxy since we both had experience with it. YES- it's overkill, but as I said, these doors will get a lot of use and abuse.

So, the process is first we mill all the parts, and all the veneers. Currently we are using a helical head planer with a sled to bring the veneers down to 2mm and it works amazingly well. We are putting aside money from every project to pay for a wide belt sander, but right now we have to make do with what we have. Wide belt sanders are $$$$ for a 37" that we would want for door making. It's also more $$$ for wiring up the 3-phase, and it requires a dedicated dust collector of fairly large CFM. I used to work at a shop making doors and we had a massive 44" wide belt sander that would have made this project so much easier, but now that I have my own shop, I have to use what I currently can afford. It's working very well with the helical head planer, but we do lose a few on the last couple of passes. The yellow birch has a lot of variations in the grain. Honduran mahogany works much better, but that's not an option for this project.

Once we have all the parts milled down, we glue up the rails and stiles, and glue on the birch lipping on the outer edges. Once cured, they get jointed and planed to final dimension and to ensure sides are parallel. Next, they go to the vacuum press, where the parts are veneered on both sides. Once that is done, they go to the shaper to mill the edge profiles. I do cope cuts first, because any blow-out might be correctable on the stick cut. This requires a test piece to be sure what my final dimension will be AFTER the pass through the shaper. I have gotten pretty good at setting the shaper up to take only a sliver of length (cope) or width (stick) with the final pass. That said, before running all the coping cuts, I do a test piece. I measure it before and after the cut, and determine with the current setup how much length I am going to lose (usually it's only between 1/32 and 1/16" overall). THEN I cut all the rails to size and then do the coping cut. The stiles I make just a little wider than final dimension because once the doors are all glued up, I put them on the slider and take the horns off the top and bottom, and then I like to take a sliver off each side to ensure they are square. WARNING!!!!! If you do this, your saw has to be set up absolutely perfect, because if you're off just a tiny bit, over an 80" door it can end up taking 1/8" too much off on one end!!!! We check our setup every time before we run final cuts on doors. Even the finest sliding saw can go out of whack with vibration and use. A fraction of a degree off will cause your door to be way off if you cut the long side of it.

Seems I missed the glue-up. Pretty basic. We put two dominoes in each end of the top rail, three in the bottom, and if there is a middle rail, it gets two as well. We do a test fit and double-check the panel dimension before cutting the panel, just to be sure. With glass doors and doors with glass lights, you have to order the tempered safety glass first, so You just have to really double- check your measurements before ordering, and when you get the glass, make sure it's what you ordered. There is no trimming safety glass!!! You have to just ensure your measurements are right, and it all comes together. If the glass were to be off maybe 1/8" or so from the supplier, you can always take 1/16" off either side of the door to keep your dimension. That shouldn't happen with a good supplier.

Well, let's see- I'm just kind of rambling off the top of my head trying to go through the process for you. I hope that answered all the questions.

Oh, another thing with the torrified woods. We also tried a fairly new product called Accoya. This is a wood that goes through a process that has a similar result to torrification, but my understanding is that instead of a heat treating process, it is a chemical treatment. The down sides of Accoya for us were (1) it is VERY expensive, and (2) the chemical treatment process requires that you ONLY use stainless steel fasteners, as others will corrode. Well, thanks but no thanks! That said, we soaked a test piece in a bucket of water overnight, and it still read 0% moisture. Very impressive results, but the torrified wood did just as well. I am paying around $5.40/bft for the torrified wood. Very economical. I do not remember the price of the Accoya, but it was more than double what the torrified wood was.

I very much recommend trying torrified woods, not just for the resistance to moisture and the effects of humidity, but for the beauty of the wood. You will get a nice dark color without having to use stain, and the color goes all the way through the wood.
    Thanks Malcolm! I love reading how other pros make doors, and especially love the experimentation, something I can not resist. Glad you are doing well!

Thank you, I'll give that one a try!

Blog Entries
    Here is what the original doors look like under the veneers. Can you believe these gaps??? It just goes to show with a veneer on top, you don’t have to be perfect underneath. I am NOT saying this is the right way, and I would never make a door this poorly, but it is interesting to see these lasted this long and would have lasted longer if not for the sprinkler going off in the fire.

IMG_3365.jpg IMG_3364.jpg

Love reading about this project you are involved in. Where I am this sort of thing basically never happens. Hard to believe the questionable build techniques in the old doors. As you say the veneer was a critical component. Pretty and functional at the same time. Nice shop you are putting together as well. As others have said keep posting on this project and others as you move forward. It's always a pleasure to see the work of a skilled craftsman. You make hard jobs look easy.

Blog Entries
    Today we replaced the veneer on two of the old doors. Again- we are replacing veneer on doors that the core is still good, and for others we are completely building new doors. For the old doors, we peel off the veneer with a heat gun and a large timber framing chisel, which is what I found best for peeling up the veneer. For the old doors, we have to veneer them as one unit. For the new doors we veneer the parts before we run them through the shaper.

I couldn’t stop much during the glue up. We cut the veneers down to fit and just overhang the edges of the door. We have to perfectly align them, and then we put blue tape to hold them in place. The photo shows the start of taping, but we run tape all down the inside edges. This keeps the veneer in place, and also keeps squeeze out to a minimum on the inside profile.

IMG_3368.jpg

Ugh, I can’t rotate the photos. Turn your head sideways.

We put a piece of scrap 1/2” ply or OSB in the middle top and bottom or else the vacuum press will crush the plywood panel in the middle. This allows it to be supported and also allows the platen to lay flat on the door. The platen is a piece of MDF cut to size and rounded on the edges to keep it from digging in to the vacuum bag. It also helps spread the load evenly over the veneers. This door was a bit bigger than the others, so the platen barely fit. We taped cardboard on the edge to prevent the veneer from digging into the bag. In the photo, you can see the veneer sticking out before we taped on the cardboard. We leave the veneer long by 1/2” or so and after gluing we trim it. We should have used a different platen- this is not how it’s supposed to be, but it was too late when we realized it, so we just taped on cardboard to protect the edge from digging in to the bag. The cardboard forms to the door and we should still get good pressure on that bit sticking out.

IMG_3369.jpg

It all goes in the vacuum bag and stays for 2 hours or so. We just turned it off and left this one overnight since we were done for the day.

IMG_3371.jpg
    IMG_3370.jpg

IMG_3368.jpg IMG_3369.jpg IMG_3370.jpgIMG_3371.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Warren, are you applying veneer to the assembled door after it's glued up?

John

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Warren, are you applying veneer to the assembled door after it's glued up?

John
    Warren was helping orient the pictures for me. Thanks Warren.

The original post was about building new doors, but someone showed interest in the restoration of old doors. The project has two phases: one was to restore old doors, as required by Historic Preservation. Any door that could be fixed had the veneers replaced. The doors that couldn’t be fixed we made all new doors to match the original. In the above photos we are taking one of the original doors and redoing the veneers, so for these doors we are putting the veneer on the old door. We do this as one whole door- so, yes, the door is being reveneered as a whole door.

For the new doors, we do the veneer before the door is assembled. For those doors the veneer goes on the rails and stiles before they go through the shaper and before they are assembled.

Sorry for the confusion. It’s all one project for the same building, but two parts- (1) restoring old doors by replacing the veneer, and (2) making new doors that match the old ones for rooms where old doors were either too badly damaged or doors were added that were not there before.

Thanks for explaining that, Malcolm. I forgot that you were repairing the existing doors, too. Putting the veneer on over the door seems like about the only practical way to go about it.

John

Someone has to say something about those original stave cores, that is wild. Looks like a bunch of kindling they glued up. And those are getting re-veneered and put back in service? Was there a line of determination that “this is way too bad, we’re replacing it” or everything not rot was kept?

I Have run into the old stave core doors before. They are pretty rough. We just did some work on a local historic building. The door in the picture is the old door setting on top of the new one we built. The staves all telegraphed through and cracked the veneer. This store door was fairly protected. Another door was right out in the weather built of solid pine. The good old pine. It was actually in better condition than the veneered door. Both over 100 years old though. I built the new ones out of 2 1/4” thick Sipo.
    IMG_7522.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Levy View Post
    Someone has to say something about those original stave cores, that is wild. Looks like a bunch of kindling they glued up. And those are getting re-veneered and put back in service? Was there a line of determination that “this is way too bad, we’re replacing it” or everything not rot was kept?
    You would be amazed how strict Historical Preservation (the entity) has been on what can and can’t be replaced. They wanted us to just patch up the veneer. We did a sample to show them it would look like a patchwork quilt and cost three times the labor to just strip and redo the veneer. We are actually only doing the rail or stile that needs new veneer. This one needed all of them. There were many that needed one, two, or three veneers.

Also crazy- anywhere they added a wall, they could not use the same moulding profile. They had to use just a square moulding with no routed edge. We made the replica mouldings for them (for the existing walls where mouldings were missing or damaged.). I did a site visit and asked why they butted one of our mouldings up to a plain one. They said that’s where they changed the wall, and Historical Preservation would not allow them to extend the original moulding.

We did another project where they wouldn’t let them move an original door to a new location. They had to make a new door. That is NOT preserving history!!!! It’s crazy. I’m not usually one to cry about the “gummint” ruining things, but this is one time where I will.

Edit to add: for many doors I slathered the gaps with thickened epoxy on my own dime because I just couldn’t let it go. In fact, on most of them I did, and didn’t bill for the cost other than the labor, which was nominal.
    Last edited by Malcolm Schweizer; 01-31-2024 at 7:20 AM.

Malcolm, Are you dealing with Preservation Virginia or an architect who wants to make sure his client gets the tax credits? Sounds to me like the latter.

Thankfully, I deal with Preservation NC much more than Preservation Virginia, but what dealings I've had with Preservation Virginia were nothing more than pleasant and reasonable. I can't say the same when there was an architect between us.