Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carver's Chest Build-along

Have fun at the class!

My mom’s last Christmas present became her birthday present when work and life kept me from finishing it on time, so I know how that goes.

Well, the class has come and gone, I had to schlep all of my tools in rolls and bags, but it wasn't too bad. The instructor was Mary May, she was great! I'm certainly not a beginner, but most of the other students were. But it was plenty challenging. We made a "Green Man" basically a mans face with leaves sprouting all over it. It's an ancient art form, sort of related to gargoyles and that sort of thing. The one we made was pretty simple. I really enjoyed the class and the process. I signed up for a more intensive week-long class with her where we will work on our own projects with her oversight. That's early in September, so hopefully my carver's chest will be done by then.

Here's a picture of the class and of my green man. I'm the one all the way to the left and Mary May is the one all the way to the right.

Class pic.JPG

And here's a shot of my not quite finished green man

Green man.jpg

DC

They all look wonderful. For your next class do you have a project in mind?

Thanks Eric, Yes, I do. I have an old magazine clipping of an antique, gilded sun, with a kindly face carved into it and sun rays alternating straight and wavy. I want to reproduce that for a decoration over the fireplace. I don't have a picture of it with me but when I get home I will find the clipping (now 40 years old) and post it. This one will be about 30-inches in diameter with roughly a central carved disc of about 17-inches. I made a smaller one some years ago but never gilded it. Later this summer the same school is doing a weekend course on gilding, which I plan to take. I've done some gilding over the years, but without consistent success.

Thanks for asking!

DC

Might be too late but found an interesting supplier of cast iron hinges, latches, handles etc.

https://jwright.com/about-us/