Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Dining room carver chairs - Take 2

Blog Entries
    Great stuff, enjoy your mountain trek in New Zealand.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    I came across these chairs online, which look to me like they might be the starting point for the people who make the chair you are making a copy off.
    Posting here to add to this great thread.

Attachment 518075 Attachment 518076 Attachment 518077
    Mark, do you have a link for this?

Regards from Auckland

Derek

Derek
    Has been very interesting following along with this chair build. I have no desire to build one, however I have seen some things done that interest me and I hope to try sometime after I get to get back in the shop
    Thanks
    Ron

Thanks Mark

I have seen chairs like these before. They are copies of the DC 09 design, but with many shortcuts. These include a separate seat attached to rails, and the rails attached to the legs with blind (not through-) mortices.

The legs are rectangle, rather than oval.

And the shaping and attachment of the arms and back are simplified.

I suspect that this was either DIY or made cheaply for production at a low price point. This is not to knock the chairs, because they highlight (by exclusion) the areas that are difficult or demanding (ie time consuming) to build.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Derek
    Has been very interesting following along with this chair build. I have no desire to build one, however I have seen some things done that interest me and I hope to try sometime after I get to get back in the shop
    Thanks
    Ron
    Thank Ron. Feel free to mention what catches your eye. This thread is intended for discussion as much as demonstration (including how not to do things!)

Regards from Perth ... still in Auckland, about to travel South.

Derek

One point I have not drawn attention to, but was important for me, is the grain direction throughout this build.

If you look at the arms and legs, the grain has all been oriented so that the blanks are quarter sawn. For example, the arms will show the long side grain when looking at them fron the side, as will the legs. The figured sides face the top, are carved away, and therefore the figure is minimised. The aim is to present a clear, uncluttered grain, and this should emphasise the shape/silhouette. This was not possible with the seat, and the figure was positioned as best as possible.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 04-06-2024 at 7:14 PM.

Blog Entries
    still in Auckland, about to travel South.
    Many years ago a columnist for one of the San Francisco newspapers wrote of the plight of a couple trying to get information at the San Francisco International Airport about a flight to Auckland. The airport is across SF Bay from Oakland, California. With their accents the person at the airport couldn't understand why they didn't want to take a taxi or public transit.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)