Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OK, this is overkill, but wanted to do this for some time

OK, this is overkill, but wanted to do this for some time

OK, so my workshop is out of wall space. Seriously, there's a cabinet, or machine, or just something on every bit of wall space. Except on the wall over the door to my finishing room. I've used the tops of the cabinets to store a large variety of jigs, etc... over the years, but it involves climbing up a tall step ladder and bringing down sometimes heavy, unwieldly sleds. Not the safest thing I can think of, and I really am getting too old to go up ladders.

My workshop is pretty unique in that I have 15-1/2" tall concrete ceiling with tin sheets covering it. The house was built to withstand at Cat-5 hurricane.

I've had my large crosscut sled suspended by an electric overhead chain hoist in two houses now over the outfeed table of my table saw. That way I can use the heavy monster, and not ever have to lift it. I have a couple of other hoists installed that hold up a long ramp for rolling in heavy equipment, and a few other things. The hoists are rated for 1100/2200 lbs. Not wimpy HF things. Plus, had serious Tapcon bolts driven into the concrete ceiling. Rated for far, far more weight than this ever will involve.

So, I finally got bored enough that I decided to build and have installed an overhead storage shelf to hold a number of jigs that have been taking up progressively more and more floor space, tucked into every nook and cranny that I could think of.

To prevent it getting tippy and dropping jigs on the floor or someone's head, I installed two 1-1/4" linear rails and bearings for it to ride on. I was worried that they would be too precise and hang up, but actually they work great. There is also a chain and four stops on the rail to prevent the shelf from dropping unexpectedly.

Not a Youtube kind of guy, so here are just a few pictures of it:
    Moving Shelf 1.jpg
    Moving Shelf 2.jpg
    Moving Shelf 3.jpg

Clearly overkill, but safer than a tall stepladder IMHO, and a fun engineering project. Certainly not cost-effective, but fun nonetheless.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    Thats very clever. A guarantee that no one is coming through those doors adds value.
    Best Regards, Maurice

That is awesome, fun stuff

Blog Entries
    Love it. Very smart approach, and good idea to avoid ladders when possible.

Two ideas for you:

- Fun/Joking (but maybe not really) - A little mini basketball hoop on the front of that would be fitting given your ceiling height.

- For real - a light on the underside of the shelf would be handy.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

very nice, good use of dead space
    Ron

Love it....gotta make use of every square inch.

jim

I was expecting a bridge crane. Nice job. Can you get out if the power fails?
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D
    You must not have noticed the fire axe on the wall
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D
    Yes, the double door isn't the way out - though could be in an emergency. If the shelf is all the way down, you can still get out either of the other two doors. A non-issue.

I originally wanted a bridge crane. As it turns out, having multiple hoists in different locations lets me use several at once - far more useful to me.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post
    Love it. Very smart approach, and good idea to avoid ladders when possible.

Two ideas for you:

- Fun/Joking (but maybe not really) - A little mini basketball hoop on the front of that would be fitting given your ceiling height.

- For real - a light on the underside of the shelf would be handy.
    Yes, I agree. A light underneath would be nice. Have to figure out a way to do that without getting the cord in the way. A wireless LED motion sensing fixture might be the answer.

Bridge cranes use feston cables to get power to the hoist. They can also use special extra rails that provide power to the bridge. Similar to trolley cars and slot cars. Not recomended on the wall where people can touch them. I would recommend two parallel pieces of copper pipe.
    A cord reel would work. I remember, in the 60's, little balls with a internal cord reel for hanging lamp cords so they can be pulled down or pushed up high. Swag lamp anyone?
    Bill D

Overkill is underrated. I like it, making good use of otherwise useless space.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Yes, I agree. A light underneath would be nice. Have to figure out a way to do that without getting the cord in the way. A wireless LED motion sensing fixture might be the answer.
    And here they are. Battery powered, USB charged, and motion sensing. Not the brightest of bulbs, but they do help.
    Moving Shelf Lights 1.jpg
    Moving Shelf Lights 2.jpg

Now, to figure some way to have a warning light outside the entry door to show that the shelf is lowered and the door would hit it. Would also have to be wireless.

Alan if you know anything about Home Assistant that task would be easy to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    Alan if you know anything about Home Assistant that task would be easy to do!
    Never heard of it, Michael. What is it?