Thread: Are there ceramic guides for Minimax S45N?

Are there ceramic guides for Minimax S45N?

Does anyone know if there are ceramic guides available for the Minimax S45N bandsaw? I have an S45N, and every time I cut wet wood for turning blanks the lower guide bearings seize. It doesn't look like Laguna's guides will fit this saw. The folks at Space Age Ceramics don't have anything that will fit directly, though some may fit if I have part of the existing guides turned to a smaller diameter. So that's a possible solution. I don't see anything available from Minimax, but their system isn't the easiest to search. I'm also wondering if it would make sense to sell the bandsaw and replace it with a Laguna 18bx.

I had a similar problem with my powermatic 14 bandsaw with lower bearing guides. I removed the ones on the side and left the thrust bearing on the back.
    The top set I kept the same. Didn’t seems to need the lower ones.
    My problem was mostly oils and pitch
    Good Luck
    Aj

Brass, lignum vitae, etc would make a suitable substitute for the guide bearings. Remove the bearings and install them using those machine screw holes.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Crimmins View Post
    I'm also wondering if it would make sense to sell the bandsaw and replace it with a Laguna 18bx.
    I suggest you consider a decent copy of an Italian machine, rather than some of the stuff being made today with serious corners cut
    like on that Taiwanese 18BX with the cheaply made lower wheels
    Screenshot-2023-12-10 My New Laguna 18bx Starting To Repair It And Some Concerns - YouTube.jpg
    And likewise with the Harvey saws, no hub for lower wheel adjustment, so seemingly fixed?
    Screenshot-2024-1-27 Resaw 101 Resawing with the Harvey HW615 Band Saw.jpg
    Those things take "jobs for the boys" to a whole new level, if ya'know what I mean

I'd consider some guides which might fit, or infact be made fit with some determined intervention.
    Not really looked to see what's on the likes of the smaller Italian saws like the Centauro smart, ACM Jolly or the various specs of 440 machine they make now
    or indeed what the Meber's have.
    I guess you might end up with some better choices if you studied those.

All the best
    Tom

I have never have this problem with my S45N in the past 20 years. Maybe something is misaligned, or a bad bearing?