Thread: WTB - Mortise Chisel 1/4"

WTB - Mortise Chisel 1/4"

Good morning,

Looking for a new or lightly used 1/4" mortise chisel. Preferably Iles, LN, or Veritas. Never chopped mortises by hand, but wanting to give it a try. I'm located in WI.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Jason Meinholz; 01-31-2024 at 11:13 AM.

Blog Entries
    Jason, have you thought of looking at a Narex mortise chisel?

I purchased one, this is one project were it performed as well as can be expected of a mortise chisels > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?262272

It worked quite well on my gate project, cutting over two dozen mortises. It has also performed very well on other projects.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If you want to stay on the upper end of the price scale take a look at the IBC chisels Rob Cosman sells. I have the 3/8" and a 1/2" mortise chisels with no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Jason, have you thought of looking at a Narex mortise chisel?

I purchased one, this is one project were it performed as well as can be expected of a mortise chisels > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?262272

It worked quite well on my gate project, cutting over two dozen mortises. It has also performed very well on other projects.

jtk

Thank you for the recommendation Jim, I had looked at Narex. I think Narex makes a fine enough tool, especially for how little I might actually end up using a mortise chisel. That in the end though is what swayed me to a conventional bolster style, and quite frankly, "pretty" was also a factor since I will probably look at it more than I actually use it!

I ended up buying a new Ray Iles from TFWW, couldn't be happier with it!

Blog Entries
    Glad to read how this turned out.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)